NaNoWriMo: Stats and Superheroes

by | 27 November 2017 | Life, Writing | 28 comments

Even though November feels like it started just a few days ago, it’s already so close to being over. Since I was participating in NaNoWriMo I planned my month to be packed full of writing like a crazy superhero, but there was also another whole layer of other life things that stole away some of that time I planned to use for writing.

The beginning of the month, I had the band concert which I played flute at. This past weekend one of my cousins got married (eep!) and I spent from Thursday until this morning over where the wedding was. Every Sunday afternoon I’ve been doing practices for our church’s Christmas carols. And more and more things. It’s been busy but fun.

In between all the things that have happened this month, I did manage to write as well. I stayed up until midnight to start writing right at the beginning of the month, which was pretty fun, and the next few days of writing were so much fun too. I really enjoyed writing every bit of this novel.

If you don’t remember about my project, Powerless, you can stalk this post where I talked all about it, or here’s the rough summary:

Superheroes!! That all turned into supervillains!! Geeks!! Explosions!! Ninjas!! Big families!! Pizza!!! I totally made pizza an important plot point!!! I’m obviously not obsessed with pizza!!! Or superheroes!!

I had thought that maybe I could write down some diary-like thoughts every day and put them in this blog post, but like all my thoughts along those lines they stubbornly remained thoughts and I didn’t actually do anything. xD You’ll just have to do with the few major points I can remember.

On day six I broke my all time record for daily word count and hit 12,514 in the one day. 😯 I still don’t know how I managed that, to be honest. My characters just wouldn’t shut up that day.

Then on Friday the 10th. I. reached. 50k.

Not even kidding.

And because the NaNo graph is so motivating, of course I took a screen shot of the moment I updated my word count and realised I’d won NaNo. 😛

Then the day after I hit the 50k goal…my novel ended. Just like that. After 50k of words the story wrapped up and happily ever after was suddenly upon me.

I was actually a little bit disappointed that it was over so soon, but excited at the same time. Only eleven days in and my story was done. Crazy. Absolutely crazy.

I really enjoyed looking at the themes and character arcs that I had in this book. I had the major themes of love and family and power and argh, it was so much fun and interesting to explore those deeply. Some parts of my characters’ arcs I felt like I just needed to give them a big hug, but they pulled through and I’m so proud of them all. *hugs them tight*

The characters themselves were also so fun to write and I absolutely enjoyed working with them. (Particularly after I sat down and named a few more side characters. xD)

But once I was done, I was a little stunned. What was I going to do with myself for the rest of the month? I could just relax and do nothing!

Hah.

Nope.

Instead, I pulled out my draft of A Sprig of Green. You may remember this small novella that I wrote in July Camp NaNo—my precious little story. I read over the story and started writing a list of all the problems and things I wanted to fix and started working out what to do to fix the problems.

I’ve been working on that a little over the last two weeks, and it’s been really fun but also challenging as I’m still trying to find out the best way to go about everything. I hope to have at least started writing the actual edits into the story by January!

More on that another time. For now, here’s a random bunch of NaNo stats! Because stats are fun. 😛

Words written: 59,214
Highest word count for a day: (day 6) 12,514
Goal reached: day 10
Novel finished: day 11
Cups of chai consumed: *sips tea* at least a dozen
Nights past midnight: 2 (day 6 and leading into day 1)
Superhero movies watched: 4 (Spiderman: Homecoming (for the third time), Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (not as good as the first one), and Wonder Woman)
Distracting collages made: 6 (I really shouldn’t make this many aesthetic collages 😛 )

As tradition, I have three snippets for you from Powerless—one from each POV character—and also the first and last sentences just for fun.

First sentence: ‘Former Superheroes Bomb the Metric Train Tracks.’
Last sentence: He said I was a hero.

[Dylan Skeet]

I jumped up the stairs two at a time and paused at the door, turning around. She was still standing at the bottom step, watching me. “Did you do the whole ten years of training to become a ninja?” I blurted out, immediately going red.
She looked up at me, her ginger frizz going even brighter as the light from the setting sun hit it. “Not ten years, no.”
“Oh.” I shuffled my feet. “Okay.”
Her lips formed a half smile again and she backed away from the bottom of the stairs, pulling the black scarf up again and twisting it into a mask with a quick movement until only her eyes were visible. “I trained seven years. Same as Batman.”
Then she vanished, just like a ninja should.

[Luka Rosso]

“Luka?”
I glanced up at The Master’s voice. “Yes sir?”
“What have I told you about singing?” The man’s eyebrows raised.
“My voice sounds terrible?”
“Exactly.” His brows raised higher until I couldn’t help wondering if they’d come off completely. “And what about the clothes? I told you to wear the black ones.”
“I know,” I replied, glancing down at the bright green and blue shirt and brown pants I was wearing. “But these just seemed better.”
The Master’s eyes narrowed. “Are you disobeying me?”
I considered that for a few moments. I never disobeyed The Master. He always knew what was best. Except for in the matter of fashion choices. Black would just be wrong. I had to be…sunshine colours.
I didn’t know why. I just knew.

[Megan Rosso]

“Megaaaan.” A small bundle of blankets tackled my legs and I patted Julia’s head.
“Hey, Ju.” I escaped her death grip on my leg and crouched to her height. “What’s the blanket for?”
“It’s my ninja cape,” she grinned, flapping the ‘cape’ draped over her shoulders and several meters along the floor behind her as well.
“Ninja’s don’t have capes, Julia,” Sofi huffed from the doorway. “Megan doesn’t wear a cape.”
I glanced up and bit my lip as a laugh caught in my throat. Sofi was dressed head to foot in black, her ginger hair covered by a too-big black beanie that was tugged almost over her eyes.

I nodded seriously. “That’s true. But maybe Julia’s a sort of ninja that does wear a cape. Because ninjas can wear what they want.” I squeezed Julia in a quick hug, playfully tugged Sofi’s beanie down over her eyes and slipped past them

All the precious small Rosso siblings were so fun to write. Dylan, too, was a different sort of character than I’d written before and it was really interesting to have that new experience of writing a geeky comic-book boy. And Megan is a Ninja and Luka is a superhero so obviously they came naturally to me. 😉

Anyhow, I’ve rambled along for long enough. Your turn!

What fun new things have you done in writing this month? If you’re doing NaNo, have you hit 50k yet?? How far through your novel are you? I demand snippets!! 😛

1. Krystal

Whooooooooaaaa, good for you! : D

EEK SNIPPETS *reads ’em* omw /yes/ <33

new things in writing…finished a short story/Byline column, which turned out rather well, I think? It was a lot of fun to do. : )

*bows* Thank you. <3

Yayy, I'm glad you like them! ^.^

Ooh cool! That's great, Krystal. 😀

2. Lisa

AHH JANE!!! I’m sorry I haven’t commented in forever but YOUR STORY IS SO EPIC. AND WOW CHEERS FOR YOU FINISHING SO EARLY. I still have a ways to go to hit 50k but my novel is so fun to work out too. xD

Lisa

Ahh thank you for commenting. 🙂
      D’AW you are so sweet and encouraging, thank youuu. <3

You can do this!! *cheers* I know you can!

so happy that u reached 50k. ALREADY! congrats! 🙂
    I’n not doing NaNo, but i’m outlining a superhero novel right now. yay!

I’m so excited too. *happy bounce*
      Awk really?? That is so cool! You’ll have to tell me allll about it.

• Jenna

yeah, i haven’t worked out much yet, but i know one superpower is gonna have something to do with fire *shrugs* we’ll see where that goes. i hope to have a website/blog up kinda soon, so i’ll do a huge post about that. will definitely let you know, Jane 😉

Oh cool! That sounds amazing.
          A blog?? Woohoo, that’s epic!

4. Gray Marie

*Applauds**throws confetti* CONGRATS ON HITTING 50k!!!

Those snippets are amazing, ack! XD

Ack, thank you!

You’re so encouraging, Gray. I’m so glad you think they’re good! 😀

5. Audrey Caylin

CONGRATS YOU WRITING NINJA. Your novel sounds seriously so awesome and I LOVED the snippets. (and I’m amazed by how you included pizza in the novel so much xD)

I finished my novel right on the 19th. I was aiming for the 23rd, but the 19th was all freed up so I…sprinted. And finished at 87,000 (I think). I’m pretty dead, so I’ve been taking a break since then 😛

YOU’RE DOING EPICLY TOO AUDREY. Aww thank you. I’m very proud that I managed to get pizza as a major plot point. xD

Woohoo that’s amazing!! Good job! You deserve that break, definitely.

6. Catherine @ The Rebelling Muse

Wow!! Congrats to your cousin, and congrats on reaching 50K so fast!!

I loved reading your snippets! My favorite was Meagan’s. 🙂

Thank you, thank you! It wasn’t anything I could’ve done alone. I had a great cheering squad and a wonderful God behind me. 🙂

Aw, thanks! I’m so glad. ^.^

EEEEP! SO EXCITING!!!! *Throws confetti about happily* Bravo!
    Ooooh, love the snippets and naaaw! The little Rosso’s are soooo cuuuute!

GOOD JOB TO YOU AS WELL. *throws confetti on you too*
      Yeet, thank you. I’m so glad you think so!

8. Jem Jones

HOW DO YOU WRITE AN ENTIRE NOVEL IN ELEVEN DAYS. Bah humbug.

…*CONFETTI AND GLITTER* *also lamingtons*

(I tried to think of a superhero-themed party thing, but failed :P) Congratulations! I look forward to more snippets (hint, hint 😉

BY SITTING AT A LAPTOP AND BASHING YOUR HEAD ON THE KEYBOARD. OBVIOUSLY. XD

*noms lamingtons* Yay tasty.
      (hmm, I can’t think of anything either. xP)

Thanks! Ooh, maybe I’ll include some snippets in my next newsletter…

9. chelsea

You did AMAZING!!! you write so quickly. And also superhero novels are pretty much the greatest and I wrote one for Camp NaNo in April. It turned out to be so much fun!!

Awk thank you. Ooh you did? That’s so cool. It must be the year for superheroes. 😛 I really enjoyed mine too!

*offers you congratulatory pizza for you early NaNo win*
    Sound like you had a busy month.
    Making pizza an important plot point is always a good idea, of this you may be certain.
    Your all time record for daily word count is also one word every seven seconds average over a twenty-four hour period, or in short, mind boggling.
    I wonder if your story world has any imperial train tracks?
    Also there is a ninja with ginger coloured hair… sounds familiar.
    And Julia seems to be an adorable little girl, is she dark haired or stereotype defying?

*noms pizza* Thanks!
      I did have a rather busy month, but it was still a wonderfully good month too. 🙂
      Pizza should be a plot point in all novels, in my opinion. xD
      Ahhh wow that sounds crazy when you put it like that. Particularly considering I only wrote between 8 am and 11:30 pm at the most. Fifteen hours. O-o
      Ginger Ninja!! 😛
      Julia unfortunately only gets into a few small scenes in the story, so she doesn’t get as much stereotype-defying as I would’ve liked. But she is a fairly unique character (I hope) in her own little way. 😉

11. Estella Kate

Wow, How did you do that?

YAY, FOR BIG FAMILIES!

Julia sounds sooo cute

I spent a lot of time just sitting on my bed writing. 😛
      Yes! Big families are epic! 😉

CONGRATS ON WINNING NANO!!!POWERLESS SOUNDS AMAZING!!! I WANT TO READ MORE!!! I should probably stop yelling now. ;-D That’s so coo that you have big families in your novel! <3 I LOVED the snippets, and that is an awesome last line! XD

AAAH THANK YOU, THANK YOU. 😛
      I loved writing the few little scenes with the big family. It was so much fun.

*cool. I don’t know why it came out as “coo”. *scowls at keyboard* ;-D

Hehe don’t worry about it. xP That happens to me all the time.