Five Brand New Books I Want to Write in 2018

by | 5 January 2018 | Life, Writing | 45 comments

Happy new year, everyone! ๐Ÿ˜€

*hands out pizza and confetti all around*

Since it’s the beginning of the year, I’ve been thinking about my plans for writing. What am I writing, when am I writing, how am I writing, and more. Realistically, I plan to write three first drafts (during each of the nano months: April, July and November) but I have such a flood of ideas that it’s honestly quite hard to narrow it down.

Today I have a list of five ideas—in no particular order—that I really want to work on at some point in the hopefully-near future. This post may or may not have quite a few aesthetic collages. You have been warned. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Road to Nowhere

Contemporary/mystery

I lived in the first house along Mystery Road.

I guess you could say I was the number one mystery of my time.

I only have the inklings of a plot for this, but the characters are mostly what catch my attention. It’s a split POV novel, with at least two main narrators: Jordan Lorde and his little sister Zap.

Jordan is a shy, conflict avoiding, unsure, protective big brother.

Zap is a feisty, stubborn, big-hearted little girl who’s not afraid to yell at the ‘baddies’ to make them go away.

I’ve written some small scenes from this novel and I love the characters a heap. They’re so fun and quirky and I honestly do love the contrast with the switched-roles between Jordan and Zap.

The Future of the Past

Victorian era/contemporary/dystopian

I know, I know. That genre/setting is a paradox. But that’s the whole point. It involves a three-layer reality…and a hole that breaks through those layers, bringing them all together into one.

The first one to discover the hole is a little boy from Victorian London. He never told anyone about the strange sort of blurry edge to reality, and the break remains hidden for years.

Until a criminal mastermind stumbles upon it.

*dramatic music plays*

The idea for this actually came from the top left image in the collage. I opened pinterest one day and saw it right in front of me and just sat staring at it for a good five minutes or so. I could justย tell that she had some sort of story. A small pinterest board appeared, with a concept that completely confused me. So the idea sat around doing nothing…until a friend of mine talked about a random story world idea he’d had involving the three layered reality. He said the idea was free for the taking, so I promptly took it.

From there this idea has grown much more and I’m honestly quite intrigued to delve into it more.

PRINCE

Fantasy

If you’ve signed up for my newsletter, you would have gotten the first few pages of this novel. If you haven’t signed up—now is the time to do so (here!). xD

Basically, it’s a fantasy story where the main character’s favourite word is “ugh” and he hates how cliche his life is and sheep play a major role in the story. I really want to write this sometime because the style of the first two pages has already hooked me. It’s so fun to write in and I can already see that this story will be a crazy adventure.

I am a prince, therefore I must rescue the princess.

I must also have an over-protective mother, a father almost as stubborn as myself, and a name long enough to make a dragon cringe.

Thatโ€™s just how it works.

No one asks questions. No one steps aside from tradition. No one protests that it jolly well gets boring after five centuries of the exact same thing. Over and again.

Clichรฉ, am I right?

Steam Flight

(Title Undecided)
Steampunk Cinderella

In which the main character is a drug smuggling, biplane obsessed, hotshot pilot, who fills the role of fairy god[father] in this particular retelling.

I don’t think I need to explain why this story wants to be written. It justย needs to be. ๐Ÿ˜›

Invisible Son

Fantasy

I’ve mentioned my Japanese-Fantasy idea once or twice before, if I remember correctly. Akio Hirai is the son of an emperor. A fun loving mischief maker, whose favourite colour is blue. Unfortunately for Akio he isn’t up to his family’s standards of royalty…

This story intrigues me because a) Akio is a very fun character and b) I’ve never actually tried working with magic before. Well, to be fair, Iย have but it was several years ago and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. So I’d like to give it another shot.

People often ask what sort of stories I write—sci fi or fantasy—and every time I say sci fi, but I do want to give fantasy a try because it deserves a fair chance. My writing style is much more common in the sci fi end of speculative fiction, but that doesn’t mean that it can’t sometimes work in a fantasy story too.

Bonus: Lando Erif novella/novel

Contemporary Fantasy

I know. This is more than five, but shhh. Count it as 5.5. ๐Ÿ˜›

Ever since I started writing the short Lando Erif stories, I’ve wanted to write a longer one. Recently I have had several ideas and also some new characters have stepped up out of nowhere and I’m really interested in them and their stories. I know that a Lando Erif novel would be really fun to write, it’s just a matter of getting the idea to fit that amount of words.

It’s coming, it’s coming. Not yet, but hopefully soon.

I could keep going, but I’m only planning to write three of these five novels this year, so this should keep me going for a while yet. Let’s watch me get to writing these and then changing my mind last minute and coming up with another completely new idea. ๐Ÿ˜›

Hang out with me in the comments! Do you often get ideas for stories/characters/concepts? Which of these novels sounds most interesting to you? What’s your current work in progress?

1. Kate Flournoy

Wow… you’re seriously tackling five books in one year? *head spins* I have trouble enough getting just one! ๐Ÿ˜›
    All of these sound lovely. I especially like The Road to Nowhere and The Future of the Past.

My loose plan at this stage is to get three of them done, but I might shoot for another if I feel like it at some point. Who knows. xD I’m a little spontaneous when it comes to writing new novels.
      Ahh yee, thank you. ^-^

2. Sally

How does your brain not explode with all those ideas inside it trying to get out???

I like the sound of Prince. He sounds like he would be fun to get to know.

Invisible Son could be a good way to learn more about Japanese culture.

I would love a Lando Erif Story because I already know those characters and they are so much fun.

Sometimes I’m about 90% sure that my head already has exploded, so… ๐Ÿ˜›

Eep yes, same. I really like his voice and tone.

Ooh yes it would. *nods*

*strokes chin* I might have to write one of the new short story ideas I’ve had, sometime…

3. Sarah

Ack, ‘The Future of The Past’ sounds soooo cool ^-^

(And gosh, I’d be lying if I didn’t say the mental image of Kip being the fairy godfather of the retelling left me in giggles XD)

Yeeeep, thank you. You can thank Zach for the story world idea. xP

(I’ll bet he’s the most reckless, temperamental fairy godfather ever. XD)

4. Lisa

JANE JANE JANE YOUR NEW NOVELS *squeals and fangirls and promptly faints away* I AM IN LOVE WITH ALL THESE IDEAS AND THE AESTHETICS!!! This is sooo exciting *jumps up and down like a little girl* Of course, if I had to chose one I have to read first I’d take Prince XD But o.o all of these are so intriguing!! ^.^ HOW ARE YOU SO GOOD AT THIS???? Anyway. I love seeing my friends ideas and wips so this post is da bestest :DD

*flails* AHH LISA. Your comment made me smile so much, thank you. <3
      Gah, I'm so happy that you like all these ideas. It seriously makes me excited to hear it.
      Prince is a priceless idea. Probably one of the highest on the list, to be honest. xD

5. Paul Farrelly

Hmm. I think you started Lando for your brothers. It may be that when the full book is published it will need a similar dedication to that C. S. Lewis put in โ€œThe Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobeโ€: โ€œMy Dear Lucy,
    I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say but I shall still be
    your affectionate Godfather,โ€

Ooh yes indeed, maybe I will. ๐Ÿ˜› That fits perfectly. ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. Sarah

So it’s kind of funny, but I don’t usually have more than two or three ideas in my head at a time. Right now, I have two WIPs, one is a historical fiction set in Scotland in 1666. The other is historical fantasy set in 1946 and centered around music and theatre. I think your Japanese-fantasy story sounds SUPER interesting! I would love to read something like that. ๐Ÿ™‚ Loved this post!

~ Sarah Leana

I will admit I’m slightly jealous of that. ๐Ÿ˜› I’ve always got SO MANY ideas floating around, and more just keep coming faster than I can write them. o-o

Both those WIPs sound really interesting! Do you write historical fiction mostly?

Ahh thank you! I’m so excited that you like that idea. ^-^

7. Krystal

Omw these all sound so amazingly cool and I can’t wait to read each one of them. <33
    Ah yes ideas and plot bunnies all the time… XD

Too many ideas. Not enough time. I need to make several clones of myself so I can get all these books written faster. xD

8. S.F. Dekreel

Wow, good luck! I’m excited for you!I like how the Road to Nowhere sounds because the characters sound awesome, and I liked Steam Flight because, well, steampunk is AWESOME.
    Are you kidding?! I get ideas for my stories ALL THE TIME! Usually in the most in convenient places where I can’t jot it down. ๐Ÿ˜›
    Right now I’m trying to rewrite my Dr Who novella so it’s in first person instead of third. I’ve never done first before, so I’m kind of nervous…

Aw, thank you. ^-^ Steampunk is actually a genre I haven’t tried yet, which is one strong reason for why I want to write that one. ๐Ÿ˜› Have you tried writing steampunk before?

The ideas ALWAYS choose to come right when there’s no chance possible you’ll be able to write them down. *facepalm* xP

Ooh nice! Good luck with that. ๐Ÿ˜€

9. Chelsea

I love all these ideas so much! But I especially like The Past of the Future, because it sounds so confusing and exactly the kind of thing I’d devour. I’m going through a dystopian phase currently. ๐Ÿ˜€
    I can’t wait to see which ones you choose…

• Chelsea

I’m replying to my comment, for some reason that amuses me. In fact, that idea confuses me so much that I can’t even get it’s name straight.

Ahh yes yes dystopian books. I love them. *nodnod*

And no worries. ๐Ÿ˜› The Past of the Future sounds just as confusing. xD

10. Chelsea

Oh yes, and I love Japanese culture and stories set in Japan. I definitely think you should write that one too, I love it so much ๐Ÿ˜€

I just want to write these allllll.
      I need more time. xD

11. Jem Jones

That picture you’re using for Jordan and Zap looks so cute!! (Also: “Zap”. Love it xD)

I knowww. They’re so adorable. ๐Ÿ˜›
      Her full name is Zaphira, but she much prefers to go by ‘Zap’ because she likes the sound of it better. xD

12. Audrey Caylin

Woah…you’re an idea machine! The plot bunnies are strong with you ๐Ÿ˜‰ I personally am very intrigued by The Future of the Past, Steam Flight, and the Invisible Son ๐Ÿ˜€

And now just reading this lets the plot bunnies into my mind. I’m not going to be sleeping for a while ๐Ÿ˜‰

No kidding. These ideas just swamp me all the time. ๐Ÿ˜›
      Ahh yes yes. *nods* I like those ones too.
      Actually. I like all these ones. xD

Haha, good luck! ๐Ÿ˜€

oh wow Jane I love the steampunk Cinderella idea! And I can’t wait to read Future of the Past one day! ๐Ÿ˜˜my WIP is sci-fi…..I think. Some elements about it are sci-fi and other elements are fantasy, so I’m still figuring it out.

Awk, thank you. ^-^
      Ooh that sounds really intriguing. I like it!

• Jenna

thanks!
        do you do your collages on pinterest?

I get the images from pinterest, yep. But I put them together on a microsoft powerpoint slide (because I couldn’t be bothered to use a different computer that has a better program xD).

• Jenna

oh, okay. i love collages ๐Ÿ˜œ

Saaame though. I love making them and looking at them. They’re so preeetty.
              There’s actually some online places that are really easy to use too and you can make collages there without a program or anything. I’ve used photocollage.com before and it seemed pretty good.

• Jenna

thanks! i’ll have to check it out
                btw, I’m jenwriter17 on KP! ๐Ÿ˜œ

o-o
                  You are??
                  Oh my word, I didn’t even realise. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

14. Aposhiolepo

Sounds like a lot of interesting books.
    The most exciting one is Prince in my opinion, I mean… sheep! How?
    Also dragons, one can never have too many books with dragons.
    Invisible son sounds rather interesting too, all of that blue in the collage appeals to me somehow. Books with strong colours are strong books.
    And of course I will never say no to more Lando Erif, fire breathing kids and duct tape galore.
    All in all it seems to be quite the lineup.

Mwahaha yes, I am also quite looking forward to writing Prince. It will be a ton of fun. xD

Aw, that’s cool. I’m glad you like it and all. ๐Ÿ˜€

Lando Erif is about 99% likely to happen at this stage because I have family members who randomly burst out into chants of “Lan-do Lan-do, you should write Lan-do” ๐Ÿ˜›

These book ideas sound so amazing!:)
    And I love the idea of a Lando Erif novel/novella!

Thank you!!
      Ahh I’m so glad. I’m thinking that I will be looking into that this year. ๐Ÿ˜€

Aaaaaaaaaah! WRITE THEM ALLLLL!

I must know moooooore.
    *nods*

Eeeeep! Prince sounds so cool! I still am trying to work out the sheep…

And Fairy Godfather Kip. Hopefully he doesn’t punch the Cinderella character in the face over her distress at not being able to go to the ball. XP

Future of the Past sounds intriguing… Very much so… Very cool. Awesome concept too.

Aaaaaaah, yes! Zap! *cries with laughter* You need to write this.

Akio! Poor Akio. Funny Akio. *pats Akio* Blue Akio.

Hahaha, yes, Lando Novel sounds cool. Lots of fun, fire, vegemite and dragons.

Eeeeeep! They all are so cool, so I’ll end how I began:

WRITE THEM ALL!

XP

I DONโ€™T HAVE THAT MUCH TIME. XD Otherwise I definitely would write them all. However, if I did I would end up getting no ASoG stuff done. Or very little, at least. >.<

*wiggles eyebrows mysteriously*

I end how I began also: I wish I had tiiiiime. XD

17. Lila Kims

OH MY GOSH. THE COLLAGES. THE TITLES. THE AWESOMENESS OF THESE IDEAS. *runs around in circles, flailing* Wowzers, Jane, these sound A M A Z I N G!!!!!!

Awww, you’re so encouraging, Lila. <3 Thank youuu.

I'm honestly super excited for these ideas too. I want to write them allll.

THESE ALL SOUND AMAZING, JANE!!! I think the Future of the Past one or the Road to Nowhere look the most intriguing to me. Although the Steam Flight one looks awesome as well! <3 I get TONS of ideas for novels; I think we'll still have plenty of ideas when we're old and gray. ;-D

EEP THANKS. *flails* Ahhh I’m so glad you like them. That’s so cool.
      SAME. Let’s be the old grannies who sit outside in the sun and write novels. xD

19. Brie Donning

You’re got some really cool ideas here. I’ll admit I’m especially excited by the Lando novella.
    The description of ‘Future of the Past’ seemed familiar to start with. It reminded me of something Elisha had been telling me about.
    When I kept reading, I realized it was exactly what Elisha had told me about. I don’t remember him mentioning your name though. Maybe I wasn’t listening.

Eep yes. I’m excited about that idea too. ๐Ÿ˜‰