On my Bookshelf: Fantasy

by | 9 February 2018 | Books | 27 comments

Who doesn’t like curling up in a pile of cushions with a mug of your drink of choice (chai for me 😉 ) and delving into a new fantasy realm full of magic and surprises?

Fantasy has always had a special place in my heart. From fairy stories when I was a little girl, to Narnia when I was a little older, and the Lord of the Rings and the whole big world of fantasy novels.

Get out your magical staffs and cloaks and let me take you on a little tour of the fantasy realms of my bookshelf.

The Hobbit – J. R. R. Tolkien

Tolkien and/or C.S. Lewis are mentioned on 90% of fantasy lists (or at least lists that are made by civilised people who know what a good book is 😛 ). This list is no different. Even though Narnia totally left my mind when I was pulling out the books from my shelves so they could be photographed, it deserves an honourary mention too.

However, you might notice here that I’ve only got The Hobbit, but not The Lord of The Rings listed. That, my friends, is because a) my copy of LotR isn’t as pretty and b) I actually like The Hobbit better. I could do an entire blog post on this book. On the wonder and the courage and the adventure and the beauty.

I have a strong Took side. The side that takes me on adventures and escapades. But there’s definitely a Baggins part in there too. The part that likes home and familiarity and second breakfast.

There’s a lot that everyone could learn from Hobbits. As Thorin says:

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”

Tales of Goldstone Wood – Anne Elisabeth Stengl

Dragons, Princes, mysterious woods, a collection of princes-turned-frogs, princesses, bards, scruffy orange cats. What more could one ask for? The Tales of Goldstone Wood are so much fun. They’re unique and beautiful and exciting and have even made me cry. In fact, Veiled Rose made me laugh and then cry and then laugh and then cry again.

It was a traumatic reading session. 😉

Burning Rose – Hope Ann

You’ve all heard me go on about Burning Rose before, I’m sure. Hope’s writing style is so beautiful and fantasy-esque. Her stories are wonderful and full of gems of truth and encouragement. (There’s a reason I have 10 copies of this book. XD)

And beyond that, Hope Ann is an amazing person too. Burning Rose is a compilation of the first three (and a half 😛 ) Legends of Light novellas, but it doesn’t end there. Her next novella is actually releasing this year—The Stealthmaster’s Shadow. Tell me that doesn’t sound just amazing??

The Songkeeper Chronicles – Gillian Bronte Adams

These books. I just can’t. I read Orphan’s Song and really enjoyed it, then I got an ARC of Songkeeper and I could not put it down. It was amazing. I loved the characters. I loved the story. I loved the settings. All the feels, and action, and suspense, and tension.

I’m 10000% enthused for book three (which is coming out in a few months!) and I can definitely say that these books are among my very favourite fantasy books ever.

Besides, I have a thing with liking characters called Ky (or variations of that name) and Ky Huntyr is certainly no exception.

Song of Leira (book three) is coming out in a few months and I’m SO EXCITED. I’ve preordered a copy, and eagerly awaiting the release date (5th of June!). It’s going to be amazing.

Ilyon Chronicles – Jaye L. Knight

I’ve only read Resistance so far (book one) but the The King’s Scrolls is on my MRVS (must read very soon 😛 ) list. Resistance was amazing, and the preview of Half-Blood tore my heart out, so I’m hoping that The King’s Scrolls one will be a good read too. Besides, it just looks so pretty and cool in an actual physical book.

King’s Folly – Jill Williamson

I haven’t actually read this one yet, though I certainly intend to soon. However, it’s earning its way onto the list because it looks amazing and everything else that I’ve read of Jill Williamson’s writing has been absolutely amazing and I’ve loved it to pieces, so I’m definitely looking forward to diving into this beautiful work.

The Stormlight Archive – Brandon Sanderson

These books are actually on my sister’s bookshelf, but we share a room, so it’s close enough anyway. 😛

Brandon Sanderson is a stunning writer. His books are always captivating and action filled. I read The Rithmatist and The Reckoners (series) and enjoyed all of those, but The Stormlight Archive daunted me a little more.

After all, this isn’t just fantasy. This is epic fantasy.

You know, monstrously long books, lengthy descriptions, boring travel scenes…

I put off reading these books for quite a while because of that, but at the beginning of this year, I finally plucked myself up to give it a shot. I started The Way of Kings part one on the 5th…and finished it on the 9th. And then I read part two and finished it on the 11th.

Which was about five gajillion years faster than I was expecting to finish that one book.

So I read Words of Radiance in another week. 😯

Oathbringer hasn’t been read yet (I needed a break from long, traumatising novels full of epicness and feels) but that will come at some point in the near future.

Faery Rebels – R. J. Anderson

When my brain was exhausted from reading all those epic fantasy novels, my other sister (“How many sisters do you have, Jane???” Three. Two older. One younger. Now you know. 😉 ) handed me Knife.

It was a much easier read (particularly for my poor exhausted brain 😛 ) and the story itself was just so sweet. It gave me all these memories of small-me devouring (not literally) every fairy-related book I could get my hands on. Knife was sweet and beautiful, and even though it wasn’t a masterpiece of writing, it was a wonderful story and I absolutely loved it.

I started the first few pages of Rebel and it started off just as well, but then I got sidetracked with editing and critiquing and reading a free book that I’ve been asked to review, so I haven’t actually gotten beyond page ten yet. 😛

That brings us to the end of my list, but before I finish off, I have a final word.

“If ever you are passing my way, don’t wait to knock. Tea is at four; but any of you are welcome at any time!”

Your turn! Are you a fantasy reader? What fantasy books are on your shelves? Have you read any of these books listed?

Ooooh, fantasy and aaaaah! So many pretty book pictures! *hugs all of the preciouses*

Yessss, you must read allllll of the Ilyon Chronicles. *pats poor Jace* And King’s Folly. Agh, all of these good books!

Yes. I read fantasy. I have many fantasy books on my shelves. More than I am willing to list here. xP

Yesss, they’re all so pretty. ^-^

I must!! I have a lot of books on my MRVS list, unfortunately. XD

Haha, you don’t say? Well, fantasy is a pretty fun genre.

2. Hannah Gaudette

Oohh, you are going to LOVE The King’s Scrolls! It. Is. Fabulous. And then there’s Samara’s Peril. And then there’s Exiles. Too many awesome books for one bookshelf . . . So, yeah, Ilyon Chronicles is seriously good. 🙂

This is a great list. I’m going to have to read the Songkeeper Chronicles here at some point – I’ve heard so many good things about those books. Happy reading!

Awk yes. I’m so looking forward to reading the rest of the series. (Too many books, not enough time xD)

Yes! You really need to, they’re amazing and epic and I love them a ton. 🙂

3. Krystal

Bookshelf tours!!! *has been waiting for something like this* 😛

Allll the pretty covers <3

Fantasy(mostly nonmagical, medieval fantasy *cough*Ilyon, Blades of Acktar, Ascendance Trilogy, etc.) has become one of my favorite genres, actually. And hmm, my TBR list might have just decided to add a few more books from this post…. *innocent whistling from TBR list* XP

Yaay, I’m glad you liked it. (Maybe I should do a video tour some time?)

Yesss, just looking at the photos makes me happy. 😛

*innocent whistling from me* Mwahaha yes read all the books. And then come flail over them with me. XD

• Krystal

YES that would be so cool!!!

Alrighty, sounds like a good plan. *fingerguns* :p

I’d just have to make sure I don’t ramble on for too long. XD

Yesss. 😉

this post made me excited about what I”m gonna read next! I just finished A Time to Die (i’m a Nadine fan now), and I think I’m gonna read a dystopian book. Fantasy books on my shelf: the Kingdom series, Knights of Arrethtrae series, and Wars of the Realms series, all by Chuck Black. I also have the Bell Mountain series, but I haven’t read them yet. I’ve been meaning to get around to reading Jill Williamson’s books too.

AHH YAY. I love Nadine’s books. <3 <3 That's so cool that you've read it now.

Ah yes, Chuck Black has a nice pile of fantasy books to his name, doesn't he.
      Read all the books, Jenna. 😛 I definitely recommend Jill Williamson too.

5. Audrey Caylin

Well…I read Savannah’s post a minute ago which gave me a dozen more books for my TBR and now THIS. I’m tempted to abandon my writing for a week, go to the library, and come back with two full bags of books XD

But YES THESE BOOKS ARE AWESOME. I’ve read Ilyon Chronicles, Burning Rose, the Songkeeper Chronicles, and three fourths of LotR. I have yet to read the last one for some reason 😛 I’ve been reading mostly dystopian lately, but I think one of Anne Elizabeth Stingl’s or Brandon Sanderson’s books will be my next fantasy read.

Okay, wow, I just rambled XD

Haha Savannah and I are ganging up on you all so you get crushed by your TBRs. XD

Tales of Goldstone Wood are AMAZING. 10000% recommend. And Brandon Sanderson in general is stunningly brilliant.

Hehe rambles are good. 😉

6. Catherine @ The Rebelling Muse

I am a huge speculative fantasy person – and I have a few of these books on my TBR still. I’m off to add the rest now 🙂

catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

Fantasy is such a fun genre to read. Yesss, I can’t wait to hear how you enjoy them. 😀

7. Brie Donning

The Kings Scrolls is good. A terrible mix of heartwarming and heartbreaking. It was my favourite until Exiles came out. And Samara’s Peril has much adorableness in it.

Orphan’s Song has been on my to-read list forever. I actually mentioned in on a recent blog post on the topic.

R. J. Anderson’s books are amazing. Her spin-off series of Swift and Nomad is great too. The main character is a pisky, and there’s spriggans in it too.

King’s Folly is a very intense book. Old Testament type violence, idolatry and immorality. It’s ultimate uplifting, but not the easiest book. Jill’s Blood of Kings trilogy is a little lighter, but also marvelous. Did you know she did a podcast of the first two books? You can find it on her website, somewhere.

I haven’t read those particular Brandon Sanderson books, though I’ve had Way of Kings on request from the library for months and I’ve read others. They always send the part of my brain that analyzes theology into overdrive.

Aw yes, I can’t wait to read them all.

It’s so good! Ooh I must go check out this blog post. *nodnod*

Ah yes yes, I’ve heard of those series too. I’ll have to see if I can find those once I’m finished this lot. 😛

Huh okay. I’ll keep that in mind when I read that. Podcasts?? That’s super cool. I’ll have to see if I can find those too.

You must read them! They’re really amazing and so so good.

I wholeheartedly concur, you MUST reed all of the Ilyon Chronicles, and Acktar if you have not (my memory fails me.)
    Your book photos are all quite complementary, I am curious as to why ‘The Far Country’ got torn up?
    I should probably read Songkeeper soon, also Burning Rose is -coming soon to a bookshelf near me.
    I have heard some good things about The Stormlight Archive, not the length though!
    Anyways, a good list Jane.

They’re on my MRVS list. 😛 Although I don’t actually have the Acktar ones, unless one of my sisters has an ebook of the first one—which is a possibility.

Thanks! (Clare took them) I believe ‘The Far Country’ was an unfortunate book that was chosen to be used for pretty bookish photos. XD

Yes yes you definitely should. The Stormlight Archive is long, but I still think it’s worth it. And that’s coming from someone who normally avoids long books, soo. 😉

Thank you!

9. Hope Ann

I’ve only read one of the Goldstone Wood books (Heartless). I loved it and have the next book. I’ve just not gotten to it. King’s Folly has been sitting on my shelf for over a year and I’ve still got to get to it.

And the Stormlight Archive! I’m almost done with Oathbringer. Finally. It’s interesting seeing the different covers you have for some of these books…

Ooh but you must read the others too. I haven’t actually read them all yet (as you can probably see from the photo, I only own a few) but I really enjoyed the ones I have read.
      Hehe, I got King’s Folly in September last year and have been meaning to read it since. Hopefully I get to it before the end of this year though. XD

Yes!! Ahh cool. So much epicness. 😀 The white, black/grey and red covers for the Stormlight Archive are waaay cooler than the other editions. We buy them specifically. 😉

10. GJE

The Hobbit is such a wonderful book! I finally read it.The Chronicles of Narnia is amazing as well. C.S. Lewis was such an amazing author and person. <3
    Have you read the Dreamhouse Kings series by Robert Liparulo? My sister and I love it and, surprisingly, my mom. If you haven't read them already, you totally should.

Yay! It’s such a good books. <3
      I love C.S. Lewis's writing—though admittedly I haven't read much more than his Narnia books.

Ooh I haven't, no. I'm definitely going to be checking those out though!

• GJE

It is!
        He has such a unique style! I haven’t read much more than the Narnia books, either, though I’m reading a book by him called The Screwtape Letters. I recently read a bio on C.S. Lewis, and it made me want to read more of his books.

Yay! Tell me what you think of them.

Ooh yes The Screwtape Letters is one that I have read a year or so ago. It was…really interesting. The concept was super cool and definitely had me thinking.

YES! FANTASY BOOKS!!! I LOVE LotR and The Hobbit (I like the LotR books better but I like The Hobbit movies better XP). Tales of Goldstone Wood books are AMAZING as well. Another series I like is the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander. You might like those too, if you haven’t read them yet. XD

YES FOR ALL THOSE BOOKS. 😛
      Ooh, no I haven’t read them. I’ll be sure to look them up.

12. Emma Starr

I like the Hobbit better than LoTR also. Bilbo is a character I really identify with: he loves food, comfort, and simple pleasures. Adventure is fun to hear about, but not for me. 😀

Brandon Sanderson keeps coming up…what kind of person do you think he appeals to in his writing? I’d like to know because I want to try his books.