It Is Finished

by | 31 March 2018 | Life | 18 comments

Easter is here. That weekend of chocolate and rabbits and eggs and celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ. (And also, as it happens, the weekend where I forget to publish my post, not just write it.)

Something that comes to my mind almost every Easter is the words “It is finished.” You know, the words Jesus said just before he died. I think it’s so easy to read those words and not realise the full meaning behind them.

Picture a superhero. Not the sort of guy most people would pick as a hero, but someone who loves everyone—even the ones that are trying to kill him—so much that he will do anything to save them. He steps forward to give up his own life, even. There’s the super villain laughing as he thinks he’s won the battle, watching the Hero of the worldย dying.

And then those words.

It. Is. Finished.

It wasn’t a defeated statement. A statement saying “I’ve tried but this is the end now.” That statement is saying “I have done it. I have won.”

Can’t you just imagine the look on the super villain’s face as that flash of doubt springs upon him as the Hero dies. What did he mean? He must be just making things up…right?

Luckily for us, itย is finished and Jesus—the only perfect Hero—has won.

That’s something I feel like we forget to think about when Easter comes. We think “Yay! Jesus rose from the dead!” but do we think about what that means for us?

It is finished and Jesus has conquered death.

It is finished and He has taken our sin on Himself.

It is finished and we getย His righteousness.

It is finished and all we have to do is walk with Him.

It is finished and we don’t have to fight anymore, or try to be ‘good enough.’

It is finished and we can boldly approach the throne of grace, knowing that when the Father looks at us he sees Jesus’ righteousness.

It is finished and we are sons and daughters of the High King of the universe.

It is finished! He has done it!
Let your weary heart rejoice
Our redemption is accomplished
Raise a shout with ragged voice

And go bravely into battle
Knowing He has won the war
It is finished, lift your head
And weep no more

We’re sinners and we’re fallen and we’re so messed up, but we have a Hero who has paid for that. We don’t have to despair. We don’t have to be afraid. He has won the war, he has done it already.

It is finished.

I pray that your Easter is full of joy as you celebrate what Christ has done for us. ๐Ÿ™‚

Do you have any plans for this weekend? What’s your favourite easter tradition? Let’s hang out together!

Yes. Easter is always so amazing and important but we don’t tend to notice it fully.

And that is a really cool song. *nods*

Great post Jane!

It’s so easy to just go past this weekend without really paying attention to the huge importance. We so easily can just go “Yay, easter-Jesus-lets-go” but not ACTUALLY think very deeply into it.

Yes, I really love it! ๐Ÿ˜€

Thank you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Sam Kowal

Easter’s one of those times I think it is quite easy to fail when thinking about what it truly means for us.
    Especially this year (Christ arose!… April Fools.) But really, it is such an astounding expression of God’s love

Absolutely. It’s so easy to just pass over it because it happens every year. It absolutely was astounding, you’re right.

3. Kendra Lynne

WOW, Jane… what an amazing post. You’re so right- sometimes easter doesn’t seem very important, or the importance isn’t dwelt on very much. Thank you so much for this reminder!

Thanks so much for reading, Kendra! It’s honestly so easy to forget the impact that this holiday should make on us. Not even just reminding us of the cross, but reminding what it means for us. It should change the very way we live.

This post is amazing! I really appreciate your faith and you’ve made me think more about those word “It is finished,” more deeply. And that song is great too!
    Happy Easter! He is risen! It is finished!
    have a blessed Easter Jane! <3

Thanks! I’m so glad you could read this and it prompted some thoughts. ๐Ÿ˜€ It is finished, indeed! ๐Ÿ˜‰

You too, Jenna. *hugs*

5. S.F. Dekreel

That’s such a great reminder, Jane! I’m going to be honest and say that I didn’t exactly know what those words meant until I read this. And it’s a wonderful thing to ponder!!

Catchy song, too! I love worship music…

I’m so glad you enjoyed this. ๐Ÿ˜€ I’d actually been thinking about this recently because of some sermons and so I decided to share some of my rambling thoughts. ๐Ÿ˜›

Ah yes, I really like the song too. The words are so true and encouraging.

6. Audrey Caylin

THIS POST IS SO BEAUTIFUL <33

My favorite Easter traditions are 1) food on Easter morning (of coure XD) and 2) the night before Easter at my church. For part of the service, the church is completely dark, then we all light candles and it's amazing ๐Ÿ˜€

Happy Easter, Jane! <3

Aw, thank youuuu! ๐Ÿ˜€

Ooh that sounds amazing. I’d love to do something like that.

Happy Easter to you too, Audrey. ๐Ÿ˜‰

AMEN
    Good point, I am not sure I have ever thought about those words in quite that sense. It certainly can not be said too many times how important the events we remember at Easter were.
    Hope you had a happy Easter.

It’s honestly crazy how easy it is to forget, or get caught up in unimportant parts of Easter, and not fully breathe in what is most crucial.
      Thank you! I did. ๐Ÿ˜€