What IS an Adventure?

by | 10 April 2018 | Life | 24 comments

Some people are quite like hobbits. Happy at home, in the comfort of their sitting room and pantry.

Aaand then the ones who are also like hobbits. Specifically, the hobbits with a Tookish side. The people with the Tookish side are always ready to leap over the garden fence, yelling “I’m going on an adventure!!”

I’ve wanted ‘adventure’ as long as I can remember (there’s a reason why I’ve been called ‘Fool of a Took’). I’d read books and see things and think “Wow, one day I want to do that/go there/see that.” It was always a dream of mine, to go on adventures.

But the thing is…what is an adventure?

I used to think that adventuring meant travelling. Climbing mountains, sailing across oceans, going to Italy and eating real pizza. But now I believe it’s something else.

Adventuring can mean those things, but it doesn’t necessarily mean only them.

Obviously you can head over to the dictionary and have a look at what it says:

ad-ven-ture
ədˈvɛntʃə/
noun
an unusual and exciting or daring experience

According to that definition, you don’t have to go anywhere to have an adventure. It’s just something unusual or exciting, something out of routine.

Routine is good, but at the same time…if you’re anything like me, routine can be incredibly boring and mind-numbing after about a week or so. It’s easy to sink into numbness and lose focus.

Again, routine is really good, but once it gets numbing, I stop seeing the purpose of my life when it’s just the same thing every single day. I stop seeing the joy and the hope and the life that I should.

When that happens, I go on an adventure.

I love exploring, I love seeing new places, doing new things, but I have limited money and resources, so I can’t just pack my bag and jump on a plane to Ireland. So obviously, when I say that I “go on an adventure” I don’t mean that I hop over to finally try that Italian pizza, in fact, I’ve never been out of Australia. What I mean can be summed up quite well in the words of Mary Poppins. (aka a very trustworthy and reliable source of mine. 😛 )

Just like there’s an element of fun in every job, anything can be an adventure if I look at it right. Staying up late at night could be ordinary, or it could be an exciting adventure. Going to the shops to buy some food could be mundane, or it could be a dramatic journey of mystery and intrigue. It can change in the blink of an eye just by how I view it.

An adventure can be anything, because it’s not so much the doing as it is the thinking behind it. I’ve adventured with a mountain hike. I’ve also adventured by playing around with my signature and making it look fancy, or by trying out a new hairstyle (VERY adventurous for this ponytailed girl).

In the same way, you could wear a new outfit, reorganise your bookshelves, learn a dance. Every little thing can be an adventure.

I’m an Adventurer because I choose to see things as adventures.

I try make sure I go on adventures every day. Today’s adventure was going to town with my sister and buying a birthday present for a friend. Or maybe it was spilling boiling water over my hand—although that’s an adventure I hope not to repeat. 😉

The thing is, these sorts of adventures work for the home-staying, un-Took-ish hobbits too. Stay-at-home adventurer. It’s all about seeing more of what God has done. If you do everything exactly the same every day, there’s so much you miss out on.

I don’t see the full beauty in the sunset if I think “hey. Sunset. Nice.” But if I actually see it as an ‘adventure’—something new and unique and special—I’ll see it so much clearer and appreciate it so much more.

Would you call yourself an adventurer? What was the last adventure you went on? Hang out with me in the comments!

1. Clare

Very cool post. I could totally do this kind of adventuring. Sounds fun as long as you don’t spring it on me with no warning at all 🙂

Sweeeet. Let’s go on some planned adventures! 😉

I shall have to go on a few more adventures now. *nods thoughtfully*
    Really great to be reminded again of how much mindset can change what is one thing and what is another, and that’s kinda like how we are creative beings made in the image of God. While there is creation, there is adventure.

Loved the post Jane!

Yes, you definitely should. 😛

That’s exactly right! I love how you put that. 😀

Thanks! ^-^

3. Sally

I am a stay at home kind of hobbit. I think adventures around my bookshelves and inside books are the best sort.

Bookish adventures are some of the best ones. 😉

4. Hannah Gaudette

Great post! I’m a little more of the un-Took-ish hobbit than I used to be – it took me sixteen years to ever go to a movie theater and I still strongly resent a concert – but when you live on a farm, you have plenty of small adventures . . . some that we, um. . . don’t want to repeat. Like the goats breaking out and breaking into the neighbors’ barn . . .

Been there, done that. 🙂

Ah, that’s so cool though. I love the little adventures just as much as the big ones.

Goats are always great adventure-makers. XD

Lovely post! 😉 sorry about the boiling water thing though……
    To me, most days are adventures because I’m always trying new things! 🙂

Thank you, Jenna! Hehe, it wasn’t too bad. Although I do still have a red mark on my fingers. 😯

That’s great! I love that you can have little adventures all the time. 😀

6. Sam Kowal

Adventure is trying to get Stan to not be bored while I write at Camp NaNo. It requires a lot of bravery, determination, and willingness to try, try again.
    😀 It is amazing how much adventure is around us, if we just look, though. So much of life is our perspective. Neat post Jane

Haha, that sounds like a whole epic quest in itself! 😉

Yes! It’s so much about how we see things.

Thanks, Sam. 🙂

7. Catherine Hawthorn (Farm Lassie)

I have no idea what kind of hobbit I am – I have a strong Tookish inclination for adventure, but am also a homebody. Lately, the Tookish side has been winning….LOL.

The last couple of adventures have been interesting: a trip to a feed store to collect price information, getting lost in my hometown trying to get to a job interview (oh yeah…it was bad), walking 3 miles down a beach (that was a long walk back…)…all quite fun in their own way 🙂

Awesome post, Jane!!

Sounds like a Baggins to me. Normally just at home, but with that Took-ish-ness that pops its head out every now and then. 😛

Aw man, I love the sound of all of those adventures. Sounds like a heap of fun!

Thanks!! 😀

I don’t know much about hobbits but your metaphor still made me laugh.
    You may not have noticed this but your desire for adventure is evident in everything you write, it is a inexplicable quality behind every word.
    I think the sense of adventure is in part related to personality type. Mine gives me the desire to accomplish a unique goal, do something none have done before. This bleeds over into a drive to do thing I have never done before.
    You should eat Italian pizza someday because, well, its *real pizza*.

Anyways, thanks for another wonderful post JANE.

*bows* Hehe, I’m glad you enjoyed it! 😛

Awh really?? That is actually so cool. I had no idea. ^-^

I think you’ve got a pretty good idea there. Personality types are so fun to look at, honestly. 😉

Yess, I must. Just let me smuggle myself to Italy, and I’ll do it right away. XD

Thanks for reading! 😀

9. Estella Kate

Great post!

A nice home adventure for me is to go to the farthest corner of the paddock where I haven’t being for ages.

If you want some real pizza just come over here, we’ll give you some 😉

Thanks, Estella! 😀

Ooh yes that sounds perfect.

I might just have to drop around some time and take you up on that offer… 😉

10. GJE

This post is so inspirational! <3
    I'm definitely a fool of a Took at times! 😀 I've always had this craving for adventure, and I just recently realized that every day can be an adventure! 🙂

Awh thanks, I’m so glad!

Haha, we can be foolish took buddies. 😛 Yes! Every day is an adventure.

• GJE

You’re welcome!!! 😀
        Lol. ;P

11. Faith

Great post, Jane! I’ve actually never quite thought of adventures in this way. Apparently, I’ve already gone on way more adventures than I’ve even realized! Just this morning I did an exercise program that I usually do in the evenings… so I suppose that was a kind of adventure. ;D

Aw, that’s so awesome though. Adventures are in all sorts of unexpected places, if we’ll only see them as what they are. 😉