Sometimes Good Things Must Come to an End

by | 1 May 2018 | Life | 18 comments

As an author and editor, the internet is a huge part of what I do. I blog, I’m on social media and forums, I meet new people, I build my platform—it’s a way of building relationships, and I’m so glad that it exists.

The internet = an amazing tool, but also a very easy distraction.

It can take up so. much. time.

It’s so easy to just quickly check emails/notifications and then a whole hour has gone just like that. When I got facebook a few months back, I was prepared for a huge distraction that I was going to have to resist, along with the other online distractions I was already part of.

But while being very aware of those distractions and consciously making sure I didn’t fall prey, this past month-and-a-bit I have realised that I’ve been struggling more with my blogging. Posting twice a week isn’t excessive, but it does take out a big chunk of my time. Sometimes I spend practically the entire day writing my blog post, and when I’m on deadlines and working hard on projects that makes fitting everything in a lot more difficult.

So after a lot of tossing up and prayer, I’ve decided to cut back.

But WAIT, don’t panic yet. I’m not leaving. 😛 But I am going to cut down my blog posts to only once a week (on Fridays).

I love blogging and connecting with you, but I want to free up more time for my own writing, my freelance editing, and all the other life adventures. My blog post content isn’t going to change at all—still the good ol’ Jane thoughts—but I’m hoping that through this I’ll actually be able to be even more real in my posts and comment replies, because I have more time and I’m not frantically trying to balance everything.

(On a similar note: if you’ve sent me an email in the last month or so and I haven’t replied, I’M SO SORRY. I’ve been notoriously bad with losing emails and intending to reply and then forgetting, etc.)

I’m feeling all nostalgic now, but IT’S OKAY. I’M STILL GOING TO BE AROUND. 😉 But I’ll also have more time for the writer-ly things, which is a definite bonus.

That’s it for today’s short post. It’s not as sad or dramatic as the title might suggest, so that’s a relief. 😛 My monthly newsletter is going out tomorrow, and I’ll be back with another blog post this Friday and then the next Friday after that, so I’ll see you soon.

I’m so grateful to be able to know that you guys will understand and keep being the epic friends you are. You mean so much to me. *hugs and pizza*

Let’s hang out and chat! What’s the last movie you watched? What’s your favourite snack?

Aaaw, okay then! 🙂
    Best if you are able to write more than just blog posts in your days. *nodnod*
    Good job for actually deciding to cut back!

Sad but necessary. 😉
      Thanks! I hope to be able to use this time well. Onward to the novels!

2. Sam Kowal

Phew. For a sec I thought you were completely leaving. Once a week is still great, and plus hopefully you’ll have time to complete some other awesome projects…

Haha nope. DON’T PANIC. xD All is well. 😛
      Exactly! I hope it’ll work out really well all round.

phew, for a second there I thought you were going to quit blogging! 😉
    I hope this new schedule will work out well for you 🙂

Nooo, never. 😛
      Thank you. I hope so too. ^-^

Kinda sad that you will not be writing as much but we will survive. It is true that you have rarely averaged much more than one post a week in the past, so I guess it will not be much different.
    And since we want you to write the books too- go forth and write!

You’ll barely even notice the difference. 🙂

Haha, thanks! *goes forth to write*

5. S.F. Dekreel

I TOTALLY understand. I have spent the last week on the computer, procrastinating homework for a class. And last night, the night before the class, I was bawling because I got practically nothing done. So yeah, completely relatable. 😛 (And yes, I did survive the class, not without taking a beating though.) I’m looking forward to Fridays!!

The last movie I watched was a Japanese anime called Princess… something. It was clean, but not the best… *munches on fig newtons*

Aw no. I probably shouldn’t be giggling about that. 😛 I’m glad it turned out okay for you though. <3

Ooh sweet! I watched a Japanese anime recently too. I think it was called 'Laputa; castle in the sky' or something along those lines.

• S.F. Dekreel

Aww, giggle away. 😉

Laputa?! AAAAAAAAAAAAGH YOU WATCHED LAPUTAAAAAAA!!!!! OMIGOODNESS Jane!! Laputa is probably my favorite Studio Ghibli film EVER! What was your favorite part? 😀

Ahh really? That’s super cool! I’m not sure what my favourite part was, but there were a ton of cool bits. The whole ending section is pretty cool. 🙂

6. GJE

When I first saw the title of this post, I about had a heart attack. xD I love your posts so much! They’re so insightful.
    Well, that’s yet another reason to look forward to FRIDAY! xD 😉
    The last movie I watched was Labyrinth. It’s an only 80s movie that my family absolutely LOVES. If you haven’t watched it before, you should. (It’s weird, but it’s fun.)

Hehe, I think I stirred a bit of panic in everyone. 😛 But all is well, because I’m not leaving. 😉 And there’s a post coming today!

Ooh I haven’t seen that before. I’m going to have to check it out!

• GJE

xD Thank goodness!
        Oh, yay! I’m going to look at that now! 🙂
        It’s so awesome. 😛

7. Gray Marie

Totally know that feeling, do whatever is best for you! <33

Also, I'm horrible at keeping up with your blog, sorry, but I do read it and love it so much (it's still one of my favorites, thus, I still stalk you), I just forget to comment…

Thank you. <3

Aw that's totally fine. I'm so glad you can enjoy reading my posts. ^-^