Why You Should Never Become Part of a Book Fandom 101

by | 20 July 2018 | Books | 18 comments

Fangirls. Fanboys. Most likely you’ve heard the terms at least once before. The fandom life might look appealing from the outside, but it has many unexpected dangers within. You never know what you might be getting yourself into. 😉

So today I’m here to save you all a lot of trouble. Here are five reasons why you should NEVER. EVER. EVER. become a fan. It’s way too dangerous, trust me.

1: You’ll start buying all the books

As soon as you’re a fan, you’ll want to have these gorgeous books for yourself. First one book, then a trilogy, then a series, then a new bookshelf.

I speak from experience.

2: There’s always another book

It never ends with just one book. The author writes one book, then as soon as that’s released, you know what’s next? TITLE REVEALS. COVER REVEALS. A BRAND NEW BOOK.

The fandom world is a dangerous one and it’s one that never. stops. growing.

(But on that note, Nadine Brandes’ next book Romanov comes out May 2019 and I’M SO EXCITED.)

3: You’ll throw away your schedule (or sleep) just to read

Does your schedule need to be neglected? No. Of course not.

I would never neglect my schedule for the sake of reading a book. Nor would I stay up past midnight just to read ‘one more chapter.’

Absolutely not.

4: Your bookshelves can only hold so much swag

The crazier a fan you become, the more book swag you’ll attract, and book swag must be displayed on your shelves so that everyone can see the glorious beauty.

BUT what about when you have so much swag you can no longer see any of your books? What about when you can’t open your bedroom window in case all the ninja stars, the envelopes, the bookmarks, and the cards go flying off your shelves? What about when you die of suffocation because you are smothered in fandom swag?

What did I say? It’s a dangerous road.

5: Your TBR might literally crush you

If you’re in one author’s fandom, chances are you’ll find other authors similar. And you’ll find that their books are amazing as well. So you’ll add them to your TBR. And you’ll find more cool books. And more. And more.

As soon as that starts, it’s only a matter of time before your bookshelves collapse or your TBR starts throwing itself at you. If either of those happens: you’re doomed.

I hope this list has done its duty and scared you off ever being a book dragon. Keep these thoughts in mind for next time I post about an awesome book. You never know when you might be sucked into the fan life.

If you’re already receiving some of these repercussions…I’m sorry. I tried to warn you. 😛

Let’s chat! Is it too late for you, too? 😉 What’s your favourite fandom? (book, movie, or other!) On a scale of ‘loud’ to ‘I’ve-gone-completely-deaf’, how loud is your TBR screaming at you right now?

1. Clare L Farrelly

So that’s why we don’t have that window open very often. At least my shelf is more sheltered… Though the swag also could be talking up room that may be needed for more books so that’s a problem too.

Now you know. xD True fact, though. The wind catches all my swag far too well and it disappears to who-knows-where. 😯

2. Sarah

“I hope this list has done its duty and scared you off ever being a book dragon. ”

HAHA NOOOPE. *continues hoarding all mah books I haven’t even read* Imma be a book dragon now 😀

I really love your ‘101’ series, they’re hilarious xD

I have failed you. I have failed us all. *clutches heart dramatically*

The best part about this series is that I had no intention of it actually being a series, but I just keep getting more dreadful ideas for terrible advice posts. 😛

3. Janice

Haha, this post is a few years too late… I’m afraid the dragon transformation is complete and permanent. Though I have yet to collect enough swag to lose out windows…

I really DID fail everyone, haha. It’s too late for us all. 😛

The swag will slowly build up over the years, and then when you least expect it…it’ll betray you. xD

4. Jem Jones

Never mind swag, my bookshelf can barely manage the books

One thing I’d like to add to your list, if I may, is that book fandoms are barely ever, ever as recognised as fandoms based around other media. E.g. yes, I love Marvel, but where’s my Artemis Fowl fandom?? Star Wars, yay, but what about The Ascendance Trilogy?? And it upsets me that, in general, people don’t recognise these fandoms! xP

Haha, true! I should’ve mentioned something about the heart break that comes when you have to double layer your shelves and choose which books to cover up. 😛

Ah yes, that’s such an important point. And don’t forget the books that simply don’t seem to have ANY fandom. 😯

I feel with that way too much. 😉

Aw, thank you! I’ll check that out right now. 😀

Thanks for the warning, Jane, but I think I’ve already been sucked in. 😉

Nooo. QUICK, ESCAPE BEFORE IT GETS WORSE. 😛

• Jenna

There’s no hope for me…

I guess we’ll be in this together, at least. xD

I BLAME THE FANDOMS FOR MY LATE COMMENT. They have stolen me. *battles past the fandoms to get to the blog post*

So, yup. Too late. Admittedly, swag is not really a problem over here… *shrugs* More time. And talking about books to people and no one understanding… *wipes tears from eyes*
    101’s seem to be able to make my day! I love them!

The fandoms are forgiven. 😛

Making references that no one gets is so saaad. The ultimate heartbreak.

Thank you! I’m glad to hear they’re fulfilling their purpose. 😉

THESE WERE ALL SO TRUE. My favorite fandom is definitely, without a doubt, LotR. (I mean, is there a doubt? XD) And yes, my TBR list is sitting screaming at me but since I am saving all my money to go to SW next year, I must wait to buy all the lovely books that I need to buy…*cries*
    Btw, I love these 101 posts. They always make me laugh. XD

LotR is one of the best fandoms out there. 😛 Without a doubt.

Ahh that’s so awesome!! I wish I could come too. 🙁 SW is TOTALLY worth having your TBR crying, though.

I’m so glad they can be a bright spot in your day! 😀