Top Ten Favourite Friendships in Fiction

by | 3 August 2018 | Books, Writing | 30 comments

It’s been a while since I’ve done a ramble-about-books post aside from reivews and launches, so when some suggested I post about fictional friendships I thought it was the perfect opportunity.

Obviously, I could’ve done a post about why friendships are so good to have in fiction, but how much more fun is it to shower you with some books and then have you shower me in return? It’s a win-win. 😛

So here goes! Let’s plunge right into this glorious list of the first ten book friendships that I actually remembered, in no particular order (except for the order I typed them out in).

1: Eanrin + Imraldera

Eanrin is one of those irresistible characters who I simply couldn’t help falling in love with almost instantly. He and Imraldera have such a fun relationship. Most of the time they like to think that they detest each other and absolutely can’t stand the sight of the other, but…they’re actually amazing friends. 😛

At last the cat lashed his tail and raised his whiskered face to her. “I’m sorry, my girl. It looks to me like the Greater Stick Bug pursues the Lesser Stick Bug over the back of a giant alligator. Can’t make a thing of it otherwise.”

2: Cyrus + Antigone

Cyrus has unending levels of sarcasm, and Antigone has unending levels of “STOP DOING STUPID STUFF, CY” and it’s just so perfect. I loved their brother-sister relationship. They were so different in personality, and yet were such a great team at the same time. They cared for each other so deeply too, and that was lovely to see. A lot of YA shows families with broken relationships—which is realistic too—but it’s so nice to see a family that does care and where they all look out for one another.

“That wasn’t me. I’m not a morning person. There’s another person inside of me that does all the morning things.”

3: Ky + Migdon

Ky doesn’t have many real friends in the Songkeeper Chronicles, but when he meets Migdon they really turn out to be so perfect for each other. They wouldn’t say it, obviously, but I loved their friendship and the sort of mentor position Migdon had.

“Don’t look so stiff and concerned, bucko. Word from the wise, sometimes there’s no better place to hide than in the open, and no better way to disappear than to stand out.”
“That doesn’t make any sense.”
“Sure it does.”

4: Samwise Gamgee + Frodo Baggins

We all knew I wasn’t going to talk about books without mentioning The Lord of The Rings. Sam and Frodo are definitely one of my favourite friendships. Without Sam, the quest would have failed many times over and I don’t think he gets enough appreciation for that. He’s so unendingly loyal and he’ll support Frodo no matter the cost to himself.

“There’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for.”

5: Janner + Kalmar

I absolutely LOVE how this brother relationship develops throughout the books. At first they’re close, but then they each have their own struggles and it gets harder, but ultimately at the end they’re still there and they still care about each other so deeply. Janner protecting his brother at all costs murdered my feels every time.

“It is no small thing to be a Throne Warden of Anniera. They have been sung about by bards for a thousand years and are accorded a place of honor like no other kingdom—like no other king—in the world—not because they’re lords, but because they’re servants.”

6: Maddy + Verity

Code Name Verity tore my heart out several years ago and I still haven’t recovered from it. This friendship was so crucial in the book though and I really loved how close the two characters were.

But I have told the truth. Isn’t that ironic? They sent me because I am so good at telling lies. But I have told the truth.

7: Parvin + Willow

Willow is just the sweetest ever. She’s so small and precious and brave, and she really really needs a hug. 😛 Parvin was basically her older sister and it was so adorable. Every scene with them in it together had my internal fangirl flailing.

I drop to my knees and she lurches into my arms this time. My throat burns. “We’ll stop them, Willow. And we’ll get you home.”

8: Gregor + Boots

Yes, it’s another brother-sister one. I just love the sibling relationships! Boots is a great character to start with—toting a three year old along on crazy adventures always adds a unique twist—and I honestly just loved how protective Gregor was of her, even though sometimes he wished he didn’t have to drag her all around the place. Which is super realistic. 😛

He felt around desperately for a weapon. What did he have? Diapers? Cookies? Oh, why hadn’t they given him a sword? He was the stupid warrior, wasn’t he? His fingers dug in the leather bag and closed around the root beer can. Root beer! He yanked out the can shaking it with all his might. “Attack! Attack!” he yelled.

9: Cinder + Thorne

Honestly, I just love Thorne’s relationships with everyone. He’s another of those irresistible-personality characters and it’s so fun watching him interact with others. He and Cinder never failed to amuse me.

“I passed out from stress? That’s it?”
“I believe the princess term is fainted,” said Thorne.

10: Melody + Joel

Melody’s personality was so funny and quirky because she’s such a drama queen. In contrast to that, Joel was such a different person, but at the same time they were great friends. And it pleased me immensely that they were friends not lovers, because YA does not need romance in every single book, thank you. I’m totally fine with a bit of romance, but it’s always so cool to see relationships between a boy and a girl that is just a simple friendship.

“Oh. I’ve … never been there.”

“What! That’s a tragedy.”

“Melody, everything is a tragedy to you.”

“Not having ice cream,” she proclaimed, “is the culmination of all disasters!”

Your turn! What are your favourite fiction friendships? Do we share any? Let’s chat together!

1. Angela Watts

I haven’t read anyyy of these EXCEPT — SAM AND FRODO. YASSS. xD They are so good! ;–;

Sam and Frodo’s friendship is just TOO WONDERFUL FOR WORDS. 😉

2. Abigayle Claire

SAM AND FRODO ❤ They’re the obvious one because they’re the best. Sam is my favorite character.

I also love 1) Jet and Darien from Jamie Foley’s Sentinel Trilogy, 2) Harry and Hermione from the Harry Potter series, and 3) Neville and the Gryffindor gang again from HP.

Yes! Totally agree with you there. Sam is the best.

Ooh that’s a trilogy I’ve been wanting to read for a while now. I’ll have to get my hands on it somehow.

The Harry Potter crew! I loved Neville’s often underrated part in the series, and how the whole Gryffindor house were such a team. 🙂

3. Sally

Wait you didn’t mention Jim and Wally, or Jim and Norah.

True! I did think of them at one point, but forgot about them again. I love their mateship so much. 😉

Oooooh! So many options…

I don’t knoooow. I like all of these different ones… The Wingfeather Saga are definitely up at the top of the list though!

Haha yep, I had a couple more on my list that I decided not to include, even though I really liked their friendships.

Janner and Kalmar and Leeli were all so precious. 😛

5. Hannah Gaudette

Oh, my, Parvin and Willow . . . Sam and Frodo . . . YES! And then Willow’s story in book three . . . was just heartbreaking. 🙁 Anyway, no, I don’t think Sam got enough credit for literally making sure the quest succeeded. I can think of so many times he “saved the day,” even in small ways. BUT . . . you forgot Merry and Pippin. 😉 I LOVED their friendship like I loved Sam and Frodo’s friendship. They might as well have been brothers.

Anyway, since I’m still rambling, another of my favorite friendships in books was Kyrin and Kaden in Ilyon Chronicles, ESPECIALLY in the first book. Kaden was just always standing up for his sister, and Kyrin was gradually learning how to stand on her own. So sweet. 🙂

Do you mind if I do something like this on my blog one of these days????

Willow was just so precious. <3 Her story was so sad! Argh. 🙁

How did I forget Merry and Pippin?? They're my favourite pair in LotR! I love how they start off so playful but grow throughout the story...and at the end they still can keep some of that mischievous spirit that marked them so much in the beginning.

Kyrin and Kaden were actually on my list! They didn't quiiite get onto my top ten though because I've only read the first book and it's mostly a blur in my head because I read it so fast. XD

That's totally fine! Steal all the ideas. 😛

6. Chelsea R.H.

Oh, there’s some good ones here! A few of my favourites would have to be:
    -MERRY AND PIPPIN! Next to Frodo and Sam they’re the best friends in the trilogy.
    -Merry and Eowyn. I love their relationship.
    -Basically Merry and every one he comes into contact with.
    -Cress and Wolf. I thought they were pretty cool and I loved their scenes together.
    -Thorne and Iko. So much fun.
    -Deryn and Alek from Leviathan by Scott Westerfield
    -basically all friendships in fiction.

Oh my gosh, yes. I can’t believe I left Merry and Pippin out–woe to my terrible memory!

Merry and Eowyn! Yess, that was so sweet. Particularly because you get to see how the friendship begins and how strong it gets so quickly.

Iko and everyone, basically. XD She and Thorne had way too much fun together.

Ooh, I’ve vaguely heard of that book. I’m going to have to look it up again.

7. Evelyn Kelly

YES! YES!

Cyrus and Antigone are so much fun, Sam and Frodo are amazing, and Janner and Kalmar’s relationship so sweet. 🙂

*gasp* You’ve read the Ashtown Burials?? Ahhh! That’s so cool! Barely anyone seems to have read those books, and I really liked them.

The Wingfeather saga is just too amazing for words. <3

• Evelyn Kelly

Yes! I love those books, but not many people I talk to know about them and then the ending of the Wingfeather Saga is just too perfect and beautiful. 🙂

Underrated books like these make me so sad. 😛 They need more of a fandom! Just goes to show that being well known doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with being a good book.

8. R.F. Gammon

JANNER AND KALMAR. THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING THE DREAM TEAM I LOVE THOSE TWO SO FREAKING MUCH. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

YES, YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN YOUR LOVE OF THAT AMAZING PAIR. 😛

9. Sarah Baran

AHHH, YES. Frodo and Sam and Gregor and Boots and Thorne and Cinder and CYRUS AND ANTIGONE. *explodes* Love love love when authors take the time to develop relationships outside a romantic pairing.

Totally agree! Romantic relationships are all very well, but I do love seeing the friendships.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! YOU WROTE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I’ve read almost every one of these books and was flailing almost the entire time. XD YES FOR EANRIN AND IMALDERA!!! EEEEEEEEE!!! XD A book series that I found that had AMAZING friendships in it is The Men of Grit series by John J. Horn. I highly recomend that series (it’s Christian). They were really good. 🙂

I did!! Haha, thank you for the idea. 😛

YES! I love Eanrin and Imraldera so much. They’re too perfect for each other.

Ooh, I’ll look that up! Thanks for the recommendation. 😉

11. Rosey

yeeeessss <33
    Cinder and Thorne especially. xD

Their friendship kicked off so perfectly, really. It was just so true to their personalities even right at the beginning. xP

I LOVE PARVIN AND WILOOOOOOOOW!!! 😀😀😀

Yess! 😉 They’re so precious and wonderful. <3

I love Frodo’s and Samwise’s friendship. 🙂
    I also love Lizzy-Rose’s and (the other boy character’s…I forgot his name XD) friendship (from Splendors and Glooms.)

Frodo and Sam forever. ❤
      Awh nice! I love girl-boy platonic friendships. They make my heart happy. 😛

14. C.M.

SO happy you mentioned Code Name Verity AND Eanrin + Imraldera (So many people haven’t read Tales of Goldstone Wood…) 🙂

YES. Code Name Verity crushed my heart and soul and I love it. And the Tales of Goldstone Wood are soo good!! 😍