Five Middle Grade Novels I Love

by | 9 November 2018 | Books | 16 comments

Young Adult fiction is totally my favourite thing when it comes to books, but sometimes I need a bit of a break from the thick monsters that people call YA these days (looking right at you, Brandon Sanderson), and middle grade fiction is a wonderful place to go.

Why middle grade books shouldn’t be underrated by the YA readership:

• They’re shorter
  • Often funnier
  • Still amazing books
  • Just…more lighthearted
  • Super easy to read for a tired brain

With that aside, let’s take a look at some of my personal favourite MG reads!

Half Moon Investigations (Eoin Colfer)

This book is just so much fun, okay? A dash of mystery. A kid investigator. And so much humour. I read this book in one sitting a while back and I still giggle every time I think about it.

So many quotable lines too, which is an important quality for a memorable book. 😛

Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Rick Riordan)

These. Books. Are.

SO.

GOOD.

(aka, a summary of this entire post/list)

But seriously, I love these books so much. I think I could reread them several times. They’re so great and memorable and lighthearted but not frivolous and so thematically deep for MG books.

I’ve read Rick Riordan’s other series too, but I like this one the best. It holds a place of honour that the other books can’t quite attain.

Faery Rebels series (R.J. Anderson)

Taking a fantasy turn, but also still sticking somewhat in contemporary: the Faery Rebels books are so sweet and precious! They make my heart fuzzy, as well as having some great tense moments packed in there too.

These are definitely books on my ‘will read to future kids’ list.

The Wingfeather Saga (Andrew Peterson)

These books barely count as MG in my mind because they’re just so deep and crazy and amazing. I love the story and the characters and everything. There’s plot twists! There’s crazy creatures!

I’m still scarred from the ending of the last book. 😭

Gregor the Overlander (Suzanne Collins)

Raise your hand if you knew that Suzanne Collins wrote anything other than The Hunger Games. This little series is completely different and it’s nowhere near as well known, despite being by the same author, but it’s still so amazing.

I’ve only read the first one or two of the series, so I can’t speak for all of them, but I really really liked the first two. They were deep, but also quirky and original and fun at the same time. The whole concept of underground cities and giant bats and rats and prophecies was just so fun to explore.

I also apologise to all the middle grade books on my shelf that I have forgotten to mention, you are sorely missed.

Your turn! Do you like reading MG books every so often? What are your favourite books aimed at younger target audiences? Do you have a ‘for future kids’ mental TBR, or is it just me?? 😂

1. Sam Kowal

Percy Jackson and the Olympians. ’nuff said.

Although, I don’t love them as much as I used to. The prose to me is too…simplistic, I guess? It feels like chewing on air, or cake without frosting. Overall, the books had an abundance of strong points though.

Percy Jackson forever! *raises blue muffin*

I can’t say I’ve reread them for a while, but you’ve made me want to go back and check now… 🤔

Ooh, I’ll have to check these out 😉 My favorite MG books are probably the Swipe series.

Yess, do it!

I’ve heard a bunch about those books. I’m going to have to try get my hands on them one day.

A few book recommendations there which I might take. (also recommendations seems like a very long word)
    I was expecting you to post a bit earlier than usual today *because reasons* , I was not thinking quite this soon.
    I honestly do not read much fiction of late except *anything* and *everything* put out by the various authors I follow. some of those probably count as middle grade.
    I had not ever thought about a mental ‘for future kids TBR’ quite as such, but thinking about it I would have to say I do have one. Maybe I should transfer it from mental to hard-copy sometime.

I definitely enjoyed all these books! 😉

The only problem is you have to wait for those ones, haha. 😅 Going back to previously published books can knock some time out, if you’re impatient like me.

I loved Half Moon Investigations! It was really fun. AND THE WINGFEATHER SAGA!!! <333 We are halfway through the last book (my mom is reading aloud to us) and I'm SO NERVOUS about what is going to happen!!! :-Z But it is SUCH AN AMAZING series. Another MG series I enjoy reading is A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. It's really funny so far, and clever. Also, *raises hand* I did know about that book series by Suzanne Collins! I haven't read it yet, but my cousin did and he said it was really good, so I am going to pick it up sometime. 😀

Middle grade books should never be underestimated, should they?

Ooh, you’ll have to tell me when you get to the end and you can join in the eternal screaming. 😛

I hear that series is incredibly depressing, so I haven’t read it yet. 😂

I’ve only read the first two books, but I really enjoyed them both!

5. Lilian

ALCATRAZ SMEDRY BY BRANDON SANDERSON. PLEASE. READ IT. IT’S HILARIOUS AND AMAZING AND JUST GO READ IT.

uhh yesssss Wingfeather Saga that ending scarred me SO bad and I’m still in shock after like three years

YES OKAY, I’LL SEE YOU IN A FEW HOURS ONCE I’M FINISHED. 🤣 My sister actually owns these books so I’m definitely going to have to read them at some point.

SAME. Those books have stuck with me so well too, it’s amazing how memorable they are.

6. Steward

WINGFEATHER!!! I could write forty pages on why those are my favorite books. Ever.

(Any time you mention the Wingfeather Saga, you’ll probably get me to comment. :P)

My favorite MG? Probably the ones that have stuck with me most are The Phantom Toolbooth, The Great Brain, The Baker Family Adventures, Patricia St. John’s books, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, and of course, Narnia. I distinctly remember walking into the backs of all my closets as a six-year-old, desperately hoping to find a fantasy world.

Goodness, someone else has a mental TBR for future kids? I feel understood! xD

7. Jane Maree

You’ve read Patricia St. John’s books? I LOVED her! But barely anyone ever mentions her and it’s so good to hear that she exists in other households too. *fistbump*

Haha, yes! Sometime I finish a book and think “I will read this to my kids one day.” 😅

• Brie Donning

Oooh, Patricia St. John. Used to read her a lot. Definitely books to hold onto. (And half of them are mine, so I can. Mum actually gave two to another family who needed them for school, so I’ll have to get those ones for myself someday.)

Absolutely! They’re great books in so many ways. 😀

8. Brie Donning

Some of my favourites are the Georgie Tanner Series. First book is the Magican’s Daughter (or The Wanderer’s for the ebook) Probably the first indie Christian fantasy I ever read, back before I even knew that was a thing. Also something my older brothers read before me. And so quirky and fun.

I also read all the Sugar Creek Gang books, a huge number of Enid Blyton books, and two lots of Nancy Rue’s Historical fiction series.

Also Swallows and Amazons. The whole series. Sailing, adventures, kids having fun together, and imagining the North Pole is at the end of the lake, and Kanchenjunga is just over the hills. That was my childhood. Both in reading and in actuality if you take away the sailing, and the times big things did actually happen to them.

That’s really cool! I’ve heard of those books, but never actually read them.

Enid Blyton is pretty much a staple author when growing up. 😛

Haha, yes! I loved the idea of those books, though I never actually got beyond the second one. 🙈 They’re really good though.