Owner’s Manual: Creativity 101

by | 7 December 2018 | Writing | 30 comments

Disclaimer: this is a humourous post meant to amuse, not to instruct. You have been warned. πŸ˜‰

Keeping your Creativity healthy is a hugely important thing to remember as a writer—or as any sort of an artist. Sometimes we can be smashing through all the word counts, then hit a brick wall.

Aka: the bottom of our creativity tank.

Luckily, keeping your Creativity alive isn’t all too hard. I have some amazing tips to offer, from my years of experience.

Feed it on procrastination

When your Creativity tank is full and flowing, there’s nothing better than to waste time and not use it while it’s ready to go.

Feel inspired to write? Go cook an apple pie.

Feel like editing? I’m pretty sure you still have a loooot of things on your to do list that should be ticked off first. You can do editing afterward.

Never let your creativity get a break

Let’s face it: taking breaks is simply never good for you.

Why take a break when you could just keep powering on forever? Or until you collapse.

Except collapsing is similar to having a break, so don’t do that either.

Don’t do things you enjoy. Ever.

This is a no-brainer. Doing things you enjoy would be like giving your Creativity a break. Refreshing it and reinspiring, even.

Absolutely don’t do this. No way.

Live off caffeine and never get enough sleep

A healthy amount of sleep is death to Creativity. It gives it rest and time to relax and be awake and fresh the next day.

And we all know that’s a terrible thing to be. Avoid sleep at all costs.

What are some things that fill your creative tank? Admit it: how often do you get the recommended amount of sleep overnight? Let’s hang out in the comments!

Jane Maree is an Adventurerβ€”exploring the endless wonders of God’s beautiful creation. She started writing by accident, but since the very beginning has loved the enchantment of words on paper. If you say anything about pizza, superheroes, books, or any of her many, many fandoms, she’ll come at the double. Aside from crafting worlds using only twenty-six letters, she is a passionate Jesus-lover, freelance editor, self-trained martial artist, songwriter, and musician. In her spare time, she's often off on random adventures in the name of story research. She seeks to inspire her readers to step out and become the heroes of hope this world needs.

“Follow these four simple tips, and you too could have a Creativity as healthy as a shriveled tomato.” Ya don’t say! xD

Hahaha…sleep. Yes. *nods* Definitely get 6-8 hours a night. *nodnod*

101 posts are always priceless. πŸ˜›

Who wouldn’t want to be like a shriveled tomato though? πŸ˜‚

Suuuure you do…*peers closer*

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoy them. πŸ˜…

2. Nicole Dust

“You can have a Crestivity as healthy as a shrivleled tomato.” Jane, how did you know my life goal? I’ve been dreaming about that for MONTHS! XD

I am just nodding my head at all of these tips. These are so underrated . . . EVERYONE should give them a try. πŸ˜‰

I have wisdom beyond my years, Nicole. I’m definitely one of the wisest people you know. πŸ˜‚

Man, you’ll be the best writer ever if you follow this advice. Good on you. πŸ˜›

3. Lila Kims

I agree with you. Who needs sleep anyway??? (someone send help, it’s SO HARD to go to bed on time :P)

Never do anything I enjoy… All right, no Christmas movies, no Christmas music, no Christmas NOTHING. All in the name of creativity! *pumps fist in the air*

Great post, Jane, lol! (Everyone needs to hear your stellar advice. Many lives would be changed! XD)

Not us, for sure. (Definitely us, for sure. 😬)

NO CHRISTMAS AT ALL. *bans Christmas*

Just imagine that, the whole world would be a shriveled tomato at my feet. Amazing. 🀣 Thank you, Lila!

4. Buddy J.

Hahahaha!

“Except collapsing is similar to having a break, so don’t do that either.”

So yeah… *nods* good advice.

Thank you. *bows deeply* I hope you’re going to follow this advice, because otherwise you’ll be deep in the custard. πŸ˜‰

• Buddy J.

Deep custard? That sounds horrible. I’ve never had it, but I think it’s sticky and slimy… at least to be in. Also… is that an Australian saying?

You’ve never had custard?? 😱 I LOVE custard! (Maybe not being deep in it though. πŸ˜› )

I’m not sure actually. I heard it somewhere once, but I don’t think it’s specifically Australian.

• Buddy J.

Nope… Never had custard. Isn’t it kinda like some sort of pudding?

Okay! I might have heard it before, but don’t think so.

OH! Do you drink coffee?

Oh my gosh, that’s crazy. I looked it up and apparently it’s not really a thing in the US. It’s not a pudding. It’s more of a…sweet, thick liquid-ish dessert? I’ve never tried to describe custard before. O-o

I do drink coffee, but I’m actually more of a tea person on the whole.

• Buddy J.

Well… not having had custard is the least of crazy things about me. *chuckles* But I’m pretty sure I have friends who’ve eaten it… I’m quite certain.

Oh nice! I do drink coffee… but switch back and forth between coffee and tea. Long term I think I’d prefer to have had more tea that coffee in my body.

• Buddy J.

Oh! One other thing… this whole time I’ve been writing my last name… would you be able to change that to ‘Buddy J.’? Is that possible? Or not?

I don’t know…not having had custard is pretty crazy… πŸ˜…

Haha, yes, definitely. What’s your favourite tea?

Absolutely! I just edited that for you. πŸ˜‰

• Buddy J.

Hahaha! It might be crazy… but then again how would I know? I tend not to comply to convention. *shrugs* XD

Ah! Great question… I don’t have access to as many teas as I would like. I haven’t gotten to experiment a whole lot. But if I were to say my favorite… I like minty teas… but it can’t be an artificial minty (in anything). I think I’ve also had comfrey tea before, and liked it… but I can’t say for sure. OH! I also like ginger tea. So yeah… maybe ask me in a few years.

And thank you Miss… Very much. *bows*

Minty teas, very nice. I approve. πŸ˜› I’ve never tried comfrey before.

My personal favourite is chai tea, followed up by peppermint.

You’re welcome. 😊

• Buddy J.

Having this discussion inspired me to make some tea, so I steeped our family tea made of… red-raspberry-leaf, alfalfa, catnip, nettles, horsetail, peppermint, and rose-hips. It’s very nice… and might be my favorite in general. It can sometimes give me a slight headache, but I think that’s because it’s cleansing me. And I feel great after a while.

Ooooh! Chai tea! And yes… peppermint.

My word, that sounds like a crazy hodge-podge tea recipe!

• Buddy J.

It’s really good! This morning I added a little lemon which was nice.

5. Kendra Lynne @ Wanderling

This post was gold. Pure gold. I shall be smiling about this for awhile. XD These 101 posts are the absolute best!

How often do I get a recommended amount of sleep at night? Probably never- most nights I finally clock in at about 12:00 because books refuse to be put down!!

Getting distracted by emails, blogs, and YouTube is a GREAT way to fill up the creativity tank and also boosts my productivity!… totally. πŸ˜›

Haha, thank you so much! I’m glad to hear that. πŸ˜€

Books are the best excuse for staying up late though. πŸ˜›

Yeah, same! (ahahah or maybe not.)

6. GJE

Haha! Love these posts!

7. Merie Shen

To Miss Jane Maree:
    You have done it. You have discovered the true meaning of creativity.
    I applaud you on your accomplishment.

I am honoured and humbled at your high praise. Thank you many times, Merie Shen. πŸ˜‚

You’re welcome. 🀣

8. Gray Marie Cox

This is one of the funniest posts I’ve read all year, oh my word!!! :’)

Haha, thank you! I’m so glad to hear that. πŸ˜„