My Top Three Favourite Character Tropes

by | 7 February 2020 | Books | 16 comments

It’s time to gush about some of my favourite characters!!

There’s some certain types of characters that I fall in love with every. single. time. because I just love that sort of character! So let’s squeal together about some favourite tropes.

The Honourable Rogue

I’m talking about the reformed pirates (#MoreMor), the Aladdins, the Flynn Riders, the Han Solos and Poe Damerons. The ones that are a little rough around the edges, probably really good at rooftop chases and maybe have a slightly dishonest past, but are really just precious and sweet.

The Protector

THIS CHARACTER GETS ME EVERY SINGLE TIME, OKAY?? As soon as there’s someone who will take a sword through the chest for someone else he loves…consider me in love.

Ethan (Children of the Blood Moon) and Marco (Brand of Light) are both excellent examples of this. Both excellent fighters and absolutely willing to die for the people they love.

Bonus points if the protector and honourable rogue are merged into one. It’s a win-win. 🤷🏻‍♀️😍

The Courageous Queen

She doesn’t have to be a literal queen, but I’m talking about the Cinderella, the Danielle De Barbarac (Ever After), the Princess Jasmine, the Emma (Fawkes), the Rhen and Seleni (To Best the Boys).

They’re willing to stand up for what they know is right, to be kind in a world that is cruel, to be brave in a world that tells them they’re nothing, to speak for those who have no voice and to fight for those who can’t fight themselves.

There’s so many other favourite characters that aren’t on this list, but it’s your turn! Do you love any of these tropes too? Who are some of your top favourite characters?

1. Merie Shen

I love all three of these tropes 😍😍😍 I love writing them, too!

Some of my favorite twists on these are if the honorable rogue becomes the best friend/sidekick, or if the protector originally is the MC’s enemy then later on becomes their, well, protector, or if the courageous queen… is an actual queen, lady, or princess? 😆 Or maybe those are just my takes…

Yass, they’re so much fun!!

Oooh, yes yes YES to all of those! I do love a good actual queen in a fantasy story. 😍

2. Kendra

The Honorable Rogue and The Protector. YES. I love those tropes so much, especially the protector. Mr. Knightley from Jane Austen’s Emma never has the opportunity to take a sword in the chest for Emma, but we all know he would do it. Without a second thought. <333 I want to marry a man with as much integrity, kindness, consideration for others, honor, and nobility as Mr. Knightley. He's just the BEST.

Han Solo is definitely my favorite Honorable Rogue, as well as Sheftu from Mara Daughter of the Nile. Another favorite Protector of mine is Samwise Gamgee. <3 🙂

Yesss, they’re the actual best though. *swoon* 😍

Han Solo is my faaave! Awww, Samwise definitely should have so much more credit than he gets–he’s so so sweet.

These are fun tropes. Some of my favorite tropes are perhaps a mentally insane (or pretending to be insane) character who is really intelligent on the inside (I don’t know if it is a trope, really, it happened in Hamlet I just don’t know if it happened elsewhere),
    I also like the thoughtful and philosophical character who is going through a lot and therefore questions everything that is going on around them (this for some reason shows up in both Hamlet and Frankenstein). And another one I really enjoy is the strong female character trope, perhaps because it shows up a lot in my own wriitng (but so do the others I mentioned) particularly because I like writing women characters like that.
    I keep on remembering tropes I like as I write this comment. XD I just remembered the trickster trope (which appears in Greek mythology. Norse mythology), those characters are really fun to write considering that they come up with brilliant plans. I am also trying to figure out where the character, Crowley (from Good Omens) fits in, in terms of tropes, since he is a really awesome character.

The honorable rogue trope is fun and especially since writing a character with a complex past can really help with their current state.
    And I think the protector and the courageous queen are great too, considering that one of my favorite childhood characters is Cinderella.

Anyway, this was a really awesome post, Jane!

Ahh I love all those ones! Wow though, Hamlet has some real interesting, complex characters, doesn’t it.

Aw yay for childhood Cinderella fans!! 😍

• Kendra

YES HAMLET!!! I love Shakespeare’s plays and Hamlet is my favorite. I’m working on memorizing the whole thing. 🙂

WHOA. Memorising the whole of Hamlet. 😳 Consider me IN AWE.

4. Emma Starr

YES. YES YES YES.

every single one of those is my favorite!!!! My heart. <3 <3 <3

I also love the dreamy characters like Anne from Anne of Green Gables.

Anne of Green Gables!!! She’s so sweet and over dramatic and I love her. 😂💛

5. CM, 2 Tim 1:7, Fdr. of Project Pursue Wisdom

OF COURSE all of these!!
    To add to your Honorable Rogue list – Wesley (*of course*) from PB. And also Captain Peter Blood from the book Captain Blood by Rafael Sabtini (doctor turned plantation slave because he helped the wrong guy in an English civil war turned sea pirate who actually operates by an honorable moral code turned governor appointed by the King) 🙂 It’s just about as witty and charming as PB (not quite as melodramatic though, but still really good stuff, historical fiction and it’s fascinating the actual historical figures/events Sabatini used to inspire his hero).

Ooh, great additions!! I’ve somehow never heard of Captain Blood before! I’m going to have to look it up now. 😄

6. Mem

UM YES THE HONORABLE ROGUE. <333 I LOVE THOSE TYPES OF CHARRIES SO MUCH. I also love the protector, the grumpy mentor, and the highly intelligent jerk. X'D Those charries are great as well. X'D

The grumpy mentor though!! 😂😂 How could I leave him out.

7. H.S. Kylian

OH YAAAASSSSSSS

I love these tropes so much and I’m pretty sure they’ve all snuck into my stories at some point. ESPECIALLY the protector one!!! 😍

YES I loove writing the protectors. 💛💛