Dear Creative…Don’t Fuel Inspiration With Guilt

by | 27 March 2020 | Life, Writing | 13 comments

Well friends, it’s been a wild few weeks, huh? It feels like everything’s been happening all at once and it’s pretty insane.

I know that a lot of the creative community (myself included) have been struggling with inspiration in the last while. With the stress of this worldwide pandemic, my creativity seems to be sapping away. Writing is harder than normal, and it’s so much easier to feel like it’s a chore.

I’m currently editing my seventh draft–10 chapters in, out of 40+, to be exact. I hoped to get this editing done within the first two weeks of March, but that…hasn’t happened. Not even close.

Part of me wants to heap on the guilt. I’m being lazy. I’m not working as hard as I should. I’m bringing this on myself—if I just tried, I’d be finished already.

If that’s you right now too: stop. Take a breath. When the world is chaos, go easy on your creativity. There’s no need to add your own inner turmoil to what’s already a whirlwind around us.

Going slow is okay. Changing plans is okay.

I missed my self-set deadline, but that’s okay. Sure, every delay means that it’ll be longer before I’m published, but that’s not the real goal. If I get published in the wake of abusing my creativity and neglecting my family and ministry, that’s not really a win at all.

Don’t lose sight of the true goal. Love your writing, your art, your music, don’t force it ’till you hate it. There’s a time for discipline and just ‘knuckling down and doing it‘ but there’s also a time to breathe and trust and be gentle with yourself.

If you’re struggling at the moment, go easy on yourself. Don’t feel guilty when you miss your deadline, don’t beat yourself over being so much slower than you wanted to be (join the club, haha 😅). It all will come out right.

Also, don’t be scared to message friends and ask for prayer or encouragement! It’s so easy to be dragged down, but so beautiful to have community to lift each other up again. My inbox/direct messages are open and I’d love to be praying for and supporting you however I can. 💛

How are you faring at the moment? Are you being deliberate to look after your creativity?

1. writefury

me, seeing this post in my inbox: -jumps in my seat- has jane been spying on me

really tho, great reminder. <3

I have my sources… 😏😎

So glad this could hit home with you too!

<3 Thank you Jane. Can never go wrong with encouragement like this.

It’s a reminder to myself as much as anyone else! Glad it encouraged you. 😊

3. Nicole Dust

Okay, WOW. Wonderful post, Jane! I really needed to hear this today – I’ve definitely been struggling with this as of late. XD

Yay!! That makes me so happy that it met you where you’re at! I fully understand the struggle. 💛

4. Kendra

It HAS been a wild few weeks! And everything happening at once! It’s so crazy how everyone around the world is going through this together. We’re all on the same boat. Except for those crazy people who hoarded all the toilet paper. They’re floating on their own raft. *shakes head*

What a good post! I actually have not written at all in a long while, but I’m going to do April Camp Nano and have a story all ready, so actually, this time at home has been good for me to get back into a creative mindset for a little while. But I have definitely been there before; not feeling inspired and feeling down on myself. That’s partly why I haven’t written for a several months. >.<

It’s really made me realise how small and connected the world really is! A virus travels from one place to another so quickly. And toilet paper runs out so fast! 😂

That’s so cool!! I keep forgetting that Camp NaNo is soo close. Do you have a cabin planned? (Not that I understand how this new site layout works yet. 🤔)

• Kendra

Yes, same here! I kind of like that aspect… showing how much we all depend on each other, and how we can all be going through the same thing around the world. I like feeling connected to people around the world.

I’m excited to be in your cabin this month! (I know. It’s kind of strange, compared to how it was)

5. Mem

Ahhh, such a good post, Jane!!! <33 I've actually been having the opposite reaction to all of this craziness-my inspiration came back. X"D But I'd been struggling with this for the past few months, so this was a lovely reminder. <333

Aw, yay!! I’m so happy to hear that! May the inspiration keep flooding your way! 😍

6. Emma Starr

Thanks so much for this post!

This quarantine is definitely a change of plans…for my music, this was more of a punch to the gut because I can’t have my spring solo recital before I graduate.

But, I really can spend time on my poetry and edit my drafts. I have more time for home music practice. Right now, I’m spending time with my family and intentionally connecting with friends that I’ve been too busy to hang out with.

You’re so welcome!

Aww, I’m so sorry to hear that. That’s so disappointing. 💛

That’s beautiful! I’m glad you can still use your extra time well and intentionally connect with family and friends again.