Would I Survive In My 2020 Reads?

by | 29 May 2020 | Books | 18 comments

I’ve had a pretty great reading year so far. So many good books that have instantly become all-time favourites!

So in honour of all those amazing books, I thought it’d be fun to see…if I’d actually survive switching places with the main character of a couple of them! This post is inspired by one C.G. Drews (@paperfury) did aaages ago, so you can check that out here.

My Lady Jane – Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows

I think this is the best option as far as switching with the main character goes. Lady Jane and I could be besties. Protect the books always. Also don’t marry a man you just met.

I would survive this one! There’s definitely some tough times, but I think Jane and I could switch places pretty smoothly.

Mortal Sight – Sandra Fernandez Rhoads

This book was so intense and epic, I’m not sure how long I’d survive for. BUT the good news is that it’s focused around a group of creatives, so I could slot in nicely with the writers and musicians of the crew.

I might not be so good at replacing the main character though because she can run really fast, and I might just be too slow and get grabbed by the evil huge crow beasts right near the start and–THE END. πŸ˜‚

Mark of the Raven – Morgan L. Busse

The main character, Lady Selene, is so calm and controlled and I don’t think I could be that at all. πŸ˜† She hides secrets so well, and I…don’t. Unless they’re exciting secrets. But I’d definitely cave looong before she did and everyone would end up dead.

So for the safety of Damien and all the rest, I’ll leave the dreamwalking to Selene.

Swift – R.J. Anderson

A world of piskeys and faeries and shapeshifting? Ivy has it tough in this book, for sure, but I think we’re actually quite similar. We both jump to terrible conclusions sometimes and fall for the exact same plot twists, so no one would even notice the difference if we swapped!

Calling it now: I’d survive. But I’d also fall for Richard very quickly, and that might not be the greatest thing… 😬

Divine Summons – Rebecca P. Minor

First of all: Vinyanel is an elf, so if I switch places, do I also get to be an elf? Because, not going to lie, that’d be pretty cool. πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

Unfortunately, even as an elf, I think I would not last as long as Vinyanel did. Evil lizard/dragon-ish creatures are attacking him the whole time, not to mention an annoying tutor who won’t give him a straight answer about anything.

If I’m being fully honest, I would probably die in the first chapter. πŸ˜‚

Shoutout to all those main characters! They go through some stuff, right?? It’s not easy being the protagonist.

Let me know if you’d survive in your latest reads!! Could you switch places with any of the characters I’ve mentioned above? Chat with meee!

Jane Maree is an Adventurerβ€”exploring the endless wonders of God’s beautiful creation. She started writing by accident, but since the very beginning has loved the enchantment of words on paper. If you say anything about pizza, superheroes, books, or any of her many, many fandoms, she’ll come at the double. Aside from crafting worlds using only twenty-six letters, she is a passionate Jesus-lover, freelance editor, self-trained martial artist, songwriter, and musician. In her spare time, she's often off on random adventures in the name of story research. She seeks to inspire her readers to step out and become the heroes of hope this world needs.

1. Amelie

This is such a fun idea!!! My most recent read was The Story Hunter (adfkslflejdkdll cue crazy fangirl squealing), and…I’m not sure if I would survive if I switched with Tannie or not? She usually seems to handle herself pretty well with her story strands, so…πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸ˜‚

HUNTER IS SO GOOD, RIGHT??? *forever swooning* I loooved it so much!!

Hmm, switching with Tannie might be okay as long as you can switch in book 1. Because she’s just learning too! That way, by the end of all the adventures you’ll be just as cool as she is. (Also Mor is a definite bonus in that switch… πŸ˜πŸ˜‚)

2. Laura A. Grace

This was an EPIC post!! What a fun idea!!! And I’m not sure if I would survive in my current read or not. LOL!

Eee, thank you so much! πŸ₯° I had a lot of fun writing it.

Got to give it to most MCs for standing against the odds so well, haha!

3. Caroline Puerto

What a fun idea, Jane! I love the books you chose, though I haven’t read two of them. (Guess I’ll have to check them out now). I just finished Mortal Sight. I think I could switch places with Cera πŸ˜‰ I’m also a creative, and I can actually run πŸ˜‚ Yay me. Not a skill that always comes in handy…but when Moloch is chasing you, running is the thing, right?!
    Aaaand I’d LIKE to say that I could switch with Selene. But I’m not entirely sure if it’s true. I think my judgment is being tainted with my love for Damien πŸ˜‚ Can you judge me? πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ
    Great post, Jane! β€˜Twas loads of fun.

Do iiitt! These books are all so good.

Moloch would probably be the best inspiration to make ANYONE run fast, to be honest. πŸ˜‚

OKAY BUT YESSS. Damien would be a definite pro to switching with Selene, so maybe he’d make everything worthwhile. πŸ˜†

Thank you so much for reading, Caroline!! So glad you enjoyed it.

4. Arnica Anonymous

This was a really fun idea!
    I’m actually tempted to use it as a social media post in my work as a librarian. πŸ˜€

The last book I read was a murder mystery set in London 1920’s. Without a doubt I would not have survived. Lol

Ooh, do it!! That would be so fun!

Oh my, a murder mystery would be so hard to switch into. I do not have the brains to solve it, so I’d probably get murdered next. πŸ˜†

5. Evelyn Kelly

Hahaha THIS POST. Gold Jane Gold. You always have the most interesting post and I always find myself laughing and fangirling over covers to the very end. xD

The book I’m in the middle of is Lord of the Flies and it’s about a plane full of middle grade and down boys that get crashed on a remote island with no supplies and NOPE I would not survive. Partly because I could not put up with 50 power hungry middle grade rude kids who are slowly turning into monsters that turn on each other, not to mention like actually surviving Robinson Crusoe style. xD

The only thing is I might be able to protect the four year olds from them for longer than um… they are surviving. And poor Piggy.
    *cries*

It’s actually a pretty tragic book. Sooo

*coughs*

OH I READ ROMANOV (finally lol) thought you would want to know. πŸ˜‰

Aaahh thank you so much, Evelyn! These kind words mean so much to me. πŸ’› Cover fangirling forever!!

Oh my goodness, that book is an actual nightmare. 😳 I would not want to be in that book, surviving or dying. 😬

EEEE, ROMANOV!!! Yay! I hope you enjoyed it immensely!

6. Kendra @ Story Full

This is an epic idea, Jane. Hm… well, right now I’d reading A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whelan Turner, and… I don’t think I’d survive. But I’ve only gotten to the seventh chapter or so, so I don’t know for sure.

I recently read Masterminds by Gordon Korman, and it was SO GOOD and suspenseful and creepy… and I know I would not have survived.

Ooh, just that title sounds like it’d be a hard one to survive. πŸ˜‚

Hahaha, I haven’t read it, but just by that description I think I’d probably join you in the grave! 🀣

7. Mem

OMW, this is a great post idea!!! And those books look SO COOL. :DD I’m reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix right now; I don’t honestly know if I would survive or not…I’ll have to decide when I’m finished with the book. X”D X”D

I must credit C.G. Drews/Paper Fury for most of the genius! I only borrowed and tweaked the idea. 😏

They are!! I highly recommend all of them.

Ooh…that’s a tough one. But maybe you’d be able to make better choices than Harry and you could save a few lives! I’d be down for that. πŸ˜†

8. Jem Jones

Reasons I’m exercising: preparation for when my time as a protagonist begins. ;P

Such a fun idea, Jane! <3

The best way to motivate yourself to workout. πŸ‘ŒπŸ»πŸ˜‚

Thanks!!

9. Ribbon Ash

This was so cool to read. And fun.
    The last book I finished was Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo and I would not survive at all. But I like to think I would make better decisions than the protagonist.
    The book I’m reading now is Within These Lines by Stephanie Morrill and I’m happy to say I will survive that. (The biggest issue is racism, so it’s kind of cheating but keeping hope in that situation is something I can do.)
    Another note: would not survive in my own stories, especially my main work-in-progress. I might survive one but would I even get into that situation if I was the protagonist?

Thank you!! πŸ’›

Ooh, haha Leigh Bardugo doesn’t strike me as a very easily survivable author. πŸ˜‚ You could totally be a more sensible protagonist though, so that’s definitely a point in your favour. πŸ˜†

Within These Lines is on my TBR!! I really want to read it some time.

Oh dear. πŸ™ˆπŸ˜‚ Oh how we love to hurt our babies.